Network is soooo slow on XP. ideads?? *S*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Network is soooo slow on XP. ideads?? *S*

We are changing over from our present computer operating systems at work to Windows XP. We now have a mixture of Windows 98 SE, with some running Windows ME. Our network is also connected to a SCO-UNIX server where some of our programs reside. Right now (present 98SE & ME) to click on a shared folder it comes up pretty quick. And, to continue on down the sub folders is also pretty quick.

I brought in my daughter's computer from home which has Windows XP Home Edition on it. We changed the IP address of her computer and sub net mask to match the range we use at the winery. We also changed the "MSHOME" to our own "workgroup". Finally, we got it to be seen by other computers on our LAN, and for it to look at other shared folders, but it is SOOOOOOO slow! At home, my wife's, daughter and my computer are networked and all run Windows XP, with my wife running the XP Professional version. When I click on my wifes shared folder from my computer, it opens almost instantly, and subfolder with lots of files open in less than one second.

What are we doing wrong here at the business? I know XP can see Windows 98, etc folders, as my wife's coputer had ME before upgrading and it worked great. We use the FAT32 files system, BTW, NOT the NTFS system.

Thanks in advance!

check out the winxp tweaking guide, i recommend disabling that option that searches for printers and scheduled tasks when you browse the network..

also there is an option to disable the search for network shares, ie. stop winxp from creating allthose shortcuts in "my network places"

Comment

Ok..sounds great.. where do I find this Windows XP tweaking guide?

Is it part of Tweaktown, or at some other site?

Being from Australia, ever heard of Quixtar?... just wondering. *S*

Comment

Working...
      X