Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving files and os to new hard drive

Hey,
    I'm getting a new hd on wednesday, and I'm wanting to move all files and os to new hd. I'm getting a Maxtor 80 gig. I've heard that Maxtor comes with a program called MaxBlast. Can this be used to move everything? If not what can I do, or what program can I use to do this? If anyone has any imput on this matter please get back to me. Thanks.:smokin:

Yes it seems you can according to Mator's interactive tutorial which can be found here http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m...hp?p_faqid=984 :smokin:

Comment

Ok, I checked out the maxblast program, but I have another question, how many partions do I need? I heard that one will do. If I do need more, what size do I make them? Reguardless, I need a boot floppy, Right? Thanks for the reply wiggo.

Comment

One will do but I partition mine so that the operating system sits in a partition by itself and all other programs on the other/s. This way should ya hose the os you just format and reinstall without loosing what data you have on other partitions. :smokin:

Comment

I never thought about doing it that way, thanks wiggo. However 1 partition is all you need. You can also make a bootable cd vs a floppy. You can get all you need here, www.bootdisk.com

Comment

I just clicked on the link that you sent, and it sent me to an underwear website hahah. I thought it was a mistake, but I then typed out www.bootdisk.com, and it put me right back there. Get back to me if I screwed up. I'm going to use fdisk for my patitioning. The tech at Maxtor said that Maxblast is garbage and that he recomended fdisk. Thanks for suport guys.

Comment

The link worked properly for me. Took me to the Bootdisk website.

I also agree with Wiggo. I have been running two partitions for a number of years, especially during the days of Win9x where I was reformatting about every 3-4 months. I just copy over my emails, address book, My Documents folder, Favorites from IE and any important data I want to keep. Then I can safely reformat/reinstall Windows and still have all of my important data on hand. It's a great system for me at least. :)
              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
              My Toys

Comment

Separate partition for the OS has saved me a lot of trouble. Before that I was copying stuff from one computer to the other when I had to reformat. That was a royal pain. That separate partition for the OS was something that I picked up here at TT. Don't remember who posted to one that I found, but it was a definite work saver!

JM :afro:
                Have you hugged a Midget today?

Comment

Well, I played hell installing my new hd. I had set the jumper settings to master (which was what I heard to do) Then my comp didn't see it. So I had to take it back apart and set it to slave, then it recognized it. Now I have two drive letters assigned to it. No sure what to do about that. Then windows 98se recognized it as a 2 gig hd, so I called Maxtor and asked for help, so he pointed me in the direction of the microsoft website where I had to download a patch for it to recognize the real size of it. That wasn't a problem, the problem now is that I need to make a boot disk, sounds easy huh, well not for me. When I try to make one it says to insert the windows 98 cd, which I do, but my comp it says that it can't find the file. Any file for that matter. I need help. Please.:mad:

Comment

Then just go here http://dos.li5.org/ and at the bottom of the page download the 98 boot disk file then unpack it to a floppy. :smokin:

Comment

Check to make sure that your jumpers are set right. if you have a drive set as master, make sure it's on the end of the IDE cable. If you have only one drive, there should be a single operation jumper setting. however if you have 2 drives, set 1 as master, the other as slave. Master goes on the end of the IDE and the slave goes to the middle. (Master=primary. Slave=Secondary)

It also sounds like you may need to start from scratch.
                      get your bootdisk made, fdisk, delete any partitions on your drive, then create partitions however you see fit. creating 2 partitions seems to be the way to do it. create one allocating however much space is needed to install win98, then allocate the rest for storage and program installation. format and install windows on the partition you allocated for win installation. 2 hd's are also a good way to keep things backed up w/out loosing alot of data. I use 3 myself. 1 for windows and programs (C:). D: is used for my ftp, webserver and basic storage. E: is used for downloading then organizing it to D:.

I don't know what you did wrong clicking on the www.bootdisk.com link, it works fine for me. I checked out http://dos.li5.org/ and will do just as fine. all you need is an exe to make a bootdisk, activate the exe and it's self explanitory from there.

Comment

Well, I had to reformat my main hd because I couldn't make a boot disk. Everything went go with that, I made the boot disk and I tried to fdisk my new hd. That didn't go as well. I deleted my logical dos partion. I went to the microsoft site and printed 15 pages for how to use fdisk. I got into it and I screwed up somewhere. After all was done my system would not boot. disk error hit ctrl+alt+delete was the message. So, I had to tear it apart again and disconnected the Maxtor drive. All's good now. Just tonight I stopped by my friendly neighborhood comp service department (I've been there before) and I'm going to have him set the new hd up for me. I thought I could handle it, but I guess it swarmed on me. BIGTIME. hahah. What's up with microsoft. Making an os that doesn't recognize what size of hd you install? I downloaded the patch for my system so that it would see what size it was, but I didn't get that far lol. Thanks for all the imput guys. If anyone has anymore to say about the matter get back to me.

Comment

ever think about upgrading to windows XP? It's nothing like the previous versions of windows. I've been running XP for about 3 months now and no crashes or instabilities what so ever. i leave my pc on for days w/out rebooting and that doesn't effect the performance at all. i highly recomend an upgrade of your OS.:thumb:

Comment

Originally posted by wily5150
                            What's up with microsoft. Making an os that doesn't recognize what size of hd you install
                            It's simply a case of bad foresight. It's happened a few times. Like Bill Gates thinking that people wouldn't need more that 640K of RAM..... The whole Y2K issue... and so on.

Comment

Working...
                            X