Ford Probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Probe

I'm looking into buying myself a Ford Probe does anyone know much about these vehicles?

[B][size=18][COLOR=darkblue]It really depends. I've heard just as many good stories as I have heard bad stories about the Probe. I own one; a '96 GT, in fact. It's a reliable car, but, in my case I began having trouble with it after 70k miles. Right now I must have spent around $3000 just to keep it running; and it's very near 120k miles. The biggest problem I have had with it--and continue to have with it--is the Harmonic Sensor/Balancer going outta wack. This, in case you don't know, senses the position of the piston heads. So, right now it takes at least three tries to get the car started. Two of the three attempts the engine violently vibrates the car as it is attempting to turn over. ...And I just had this repaired about 4 months ago. Well, supposedly.

I have driven my car [I]alot! I would always go on road trips and go places that were well off pavement. So, I suppose it would be safe to say my car has been put through a lot and what problems I am experiencing now should be expected. The point is, I may have brought on what I'm experiencing myself. Then again, I could just very well have a crappy car by happenstance.

All in all, you're taking a risk with the Probe. If you do decide to look for one, seek out a '96 or '97. Preferrably the '97 GTS. Ok... that's my biased taste. ;)

My next car (what I realistically can afford)... the 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. What I wish I could afford at this point in time... the 2003 Honda S2000.

Hope this helped a bit. Peace! : peace2: ...and later... :wave:

Comment

My opinion goes without saying

Comment

not a ford man slamo?
        TT Original

Comment

Lets just say you can do better than a Probe.

Much better.

Where abouts in the world are you, and how much you looking at spending?

Comment

Isn't the Probe just a Ford rebodied Mazda 626? :?:
            Well that's what they were out here. ;)

Comment

:rolleyes: Looking at spending upto around $15k, live in Geelong Victoria, Australia

Comment

Check the Trading post regulary for the Nissan 200sx
                or even the 180sx.
                You wont be dissapointed. 15k wont get you a decent one though (read-fully worked), but if youre willing to put some effort & cash into it, you can have yourself one nice car. Better than a Probe, thats for sure.

Have been seing quite a few 2-door '94 Lancers out and about lately. They aint a bad drive either. Also in your budget as well, and can look very smick.

Comment

hmmmm, not too sure about the lancers, what about a 92 TX5?

Comment

Not for me as FWD vehicles in my books are a :no:

Comment

hows this for a reason not to get a FWD
                      mate blew his clutch in a 94 laser. $100 for the clutch.... $500 for the labor. mainly 'cos teh motor had to be removed to access it.
                      TT Original

Comment

Pushin' one hard is guaranteed to keep someone in a job rebuildin' CV joints too. :smokin:
                        <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

gah, if you can drive and handle a 4wd vehicle, then your CV joints will last. As long as everything around it is of good quality and maintained well, youll be right.

TX5....meeh. More trouble than what theyre worth.
                          200sx i tells ya. Youll fall in love with it the day you test drive it.

Comment

4WD and RWD are a lot different to plain FWD vehicles. :smokin:

Comment

whoops, stupid typos.
                              Thats what I get for typing and listening to two similar conversations.

The FWD cars will last longer with decent maintenence of course. I havnt found they go through CV joints any faster than I guess, 'normal' unless they are abused. As with any type of car, you really have to take the time to inspect and maintain the equipment. Saying that all FWD cars are of lower quality or performance is pretty silly though. While I prefer the 4/RWD personally, I wouldnt hesitate getting a FWD car either. I have one in fact.

Anyway, *uses jedi mind tricks on Warbo to get him a 200sx*

Theyres a pearl green 200sx for sale up here for 13k that I see everyday on the way to tafe. Id sooo get that if I had the money....

Comment

Working...
                              X