2 Wd 100 Gb Jb - In Raid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Wd 100 Gb Jb - In Raid?

I PLAN TO RUN TWO 120'S OR TWO 100'S WESTERN DIGITAL 8MB CACHE HDD'S TOGETHER IN A RAID ARRAY?(I BARELY UNDERSTAND THIS - SO IF ANYONES ABLE PLEASE EXPLAIN) AND UNLESS TOTALLY WARNED AWAY FROM THAT IT WOULD BE THE HEART OF THE NEXT PC AROUND HERE - WHAT IS RAID - RAID CONTROLLERS - WHY DONT I JUST WANT TWO VOLUMES ?:shoot3:

EDIT by Beefy: No need for random picture posting...

Here's a link to the first part of a 3 part series that may answer all of your questions. Look at all 3 parts.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/storage...806/index.html

Comment

Now if those tests could be done with JB's in the RAID setup instead on the IBM's would have been better but it does show how much better the single JB compares to single IBM, the numbers would have been of value though. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

is ther a better hdd available than the westen digital 8mb cache series? - i lean to 2 100's to be even but 2 120's might be better - 240 gigs what madness maybe 2 80's to make 160 is more reasonable - uless like doom iii is 4 gigs to install or something

sounds crazy but ive seen over 2 gigs and i thought that was crazy once - my friend only has a 10 gig and complained up and down about playing neverwinter nights cause of the 2 gig install:shoot3:

Comment

This review might interest you, I found it very helpful when choosing my configuration.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/techs..._hdd_shootout/

I did find another 'test/review' regarding RAID, I can't remember where as I have just switched systems but the tests were very similar (using same disks) to this one at Overclockers Australia.

Good luck.

Comment

Maxtor have reasonable 8 Mb cache drives that reach 340 Gb. As to your question, if you need that capacity and have the money buy it, if not you will be fine with 2 X 80 GB. If speed is your concern then use raid 0.

Comment

Maxtor is only offering a 1yr warranty on their 8mb cache drives, starting 1OCT. Western Digital offers a 3yr on theirs. That would make a difference to me.

Comment

Somehow I recall that they give 3 years let me check ...

Comment

This was on their site under warranty:

Maxtor Fireball™, DiamondMax® and DiamondMax Plus ATA drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 1 year.
                  Maxtor MaXLine™ ATA premium drives will carry a Standard Warranty Period of 3 years.

Usually the issue of reliability in drives depends on models. I remember that some WD drives used to have a life expectancy of 1 year and then some how its air tight enclosure would degrade and let humidity in, thus destroying the drive. I have quite good experience with Maxtor and Quantum drives both never failed even after 12 years!. On the other hand I had some WD drives that failed and eventually were replaced by WDs distributor by a newer model (old one obsolete) at an additional cost. Some how, IBM drives were never successful.
                  In any case new models reliability (any manufacturer) can improve or get worse, you will usually know that too late :) (or at least it was too late for someone else). For that you will have to count on your own experience.

Comment

Working...
                  X