Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD is finally in the mail. Do I want to force the BIOS to use SATA3_4 and SATA3_5 in the Z97 Extreme6 MB or is there a better alternative. Any other issues I should expect to encounter?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Ken429; 02-25-2017, 10:43 AM.

Re: Extreme6 Z97 and Samsung M.2 EVO 960 setup

Originally posted by Ken429 View Post
    Samsung EVO 960 M.2 SSD is finally in the mail. Do I want to force the BIOS to use SATA3&4 in my Z97 Extreme6 MB or is there a better alternative. Any other issues I should expect to encounter?

Thanks in advance.
    I have a 950 as boot drive, along with a 2 drive raid 0 array, along with a 3rd seperate drive. Other then the raid array, I did not need to do anything other then to disable CSM (for EUFI boot of 950). Why would you want to force bios on sata 3&4?

Comment

I've got four Z97 Extreme6/4790K systems and have found through trial and error to set the "Switch" (page 103 in manual) to Force SATA or I intermittently had issues with Windows 10 identifying all the drives connected to the SATA ports. So I don't trust the AUTO setting but it probably is OK now that several versions of the BIOS have come along and Windows 10 has had lots of fixes. Sorry it took so long for me to reply - this is my third attempt - I must miss the "I'm not a Robot" BS!!

Comment

I've got four Z97 Extreme6/4790K systems and have found through trial and error to set the "Switch" (page 103 in manual) to Force SATA or I intermittently had issues with Windows 10 identifying all the drives connected to the SATA ports. So I don't trust the AUTO setting but it probably is OK now that several versions of the BIOS have come along and Windows 10 has had lots of fixes. Sorry it took so long for me to reply - this is my third attempt - I must miss the "I'm not a Robot" BS!!
        Bios ver 2.50 is probably the last Asrock issued bios, as such yes it has problems (one part of the bios "browser") I can not see the M.2 card (nothing shows), but the M.2 shows elsewhere and obviously its my boot drive. As far as your drive issues, the only facets that may make a difference as far as why you have to force detect is that #1) Your drives may not have up to date firmware, and #2) your Intel M.E. (management engine) driver may need to be updated relative to the drives you are using, let alone some other driver issue along the chipset to drive route.
        Only other thing might be to double check OS settings, e.g.,:
        A) Windows 10’s hidden hard drive partitions: How to find them, how to remove them | PCWorld
        B) How to hide a drive in Windows 10 / 8 / 7

Comment

There is a BIOS 2.70 that came out in July of 2016. I tried it on one machine and I did not notice any improvements - so if it ain't broke don't fix it applied. I have all the latest and greatest drivers and utilities applied to the systems. I have not had any issues except for the occasional SATA recognition issue on a new setup. Like I said, "Force SATA" made the problem disappear for whatever reason. However, you may have a point, I had several very old OCZ SSD's that have long since gone to the trash bin that may have been the bad guys confusing the BIOS/W10 connection. Probably never really know.

Back to my original post, the Samsung EVO 960 should get here tomorrow, we'll see what issues I can create when I install it as the boot drive.

Comment

There is a BIOS 2.70 that came out in July of 2016. I tried it on one machine and I did not notice any improvements - so if it ain't broke don't fix it applied. I have all the latest and greatest drivers and utilities applied to the systems. I have not had any issues except for the occasional SATA recognition issue on a new setup. Like I said, "Force SATA" made the problem disappear for whatever reason. However, you may have a point, I had several very old OCZ SSD's that have long since gone to the trash bin that may have been the bad guys confusing the BIOS/W10 connection. Probably never really know.

Back to my original post, the Samsung EVO 960 should get here tomorrow, we'll see what issues I can create when I install it as the boot drive.
            You are right on the bios - I stand corrected, I have 2.70 bios myself already since it came out as you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
            X