GA-EP45-UD3R having wierd issues with 8 GB RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP45-UD3R having wierd issues with 8 GB RAM

Hello I am new to this forum so excuse me if this post is in the wrong section.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard model name: GA-EP45-UD3R. I purchased it in 2008. It's been serving me since 8 years without any issues. But recently since 2 years, it has started developing RAM related display issues. When it first happened, I contacted my technician and he suggested that I change my RAM as it may be faulty. I purchased altogether new set of RAM but problem persisted. The problem is that my motherboard boots up into windows with 4 or less GBs of RAM but it doesn't post intermittently when full slots are occupied by 4 modules of RAM totaling 8 GB size. Yes, I have thoroughly checked each module of RAM separately attaching to my mobo one by one (and in each red/yellow slots). System boots up via each of the RAM module attached in either of the mobo slot individually. But problem starts to happen when all RAM modules are attached and then system is booted up. Also, note that this problem doesn't happen every time. Sometimes system does manage to boot up correctly on 8 GB RAM (displaying that memory is running in dual channel interleaved mode). Windows successfully shows up 8 GB in the properties dialog of my computer. (I have 64 bit Windows 10). It runs fine for weeks of numerous shutdown and restarts. But the problem comes back after few weeks and system just refuse to post. No windows boot logo or Bios screen. Monitor seems to be in sleep mode and motherboard lights go on and off in a cyclic manner. I mean, mobo keeps on restarting on it's own. Then when I reduce the RAM from 8 GB to say 4 GB or 2 GB, system boots up next time successfully as if nothing happened! As I said earlier, I've thoroughly checked all my RAM sticks for errors in Windows memory boot test. My RAM sticks are ok. No errors are found by windows. I've even cleaned my mobo RAM slots and RAM sticks for any accumulated dust particles!

I am at my wit's end now trying to figure out where the problem lies. I can only suspect that maybe motherboard has some hardware issues relating to RAM controller as all the slots seems to be fine as well. It does boot up correctly when my RAM sticks are attached individually to any of the red/yellow slots.

Please suggest any other troubleshooting methods that I might be missing here. Should I just replace my mobo with a new one?

Also, one more thing that I've noticed. Whenever my system does take in full 8 GB of RAM and boot up into windows, although everything works correctly thereafter, BUT,

I start having some following problems (till mobo completely refuses to boot up again)

1) Random BSOD errors .(with all error codes changing after every BSOD!)
    2) nvidia driver crashes and recovers automatically (it's called TDR error. I've researched a lot to solve this problem like increasing the timing in windows registry, changing the nvida driver altogether, etc. But problem still persists.)
    Also, recently I've found out by trial and error that if I disable nvidia driver in device manager, my graphic card off course would continue to work but nvidia driver crashes is somehow prevented! I don't get any error popup. But again, nvidia driver is required for my graphics card to provide full HD resolution for my monitor. So, I can't do away with using my graphics card without nvidia drivers.

3) Screen goes black, all right click menu items and open windows contents turn black too. Only way to correct it is to press alt+ ctrl + del and press "switch user" and relogin into my user account. Black screen goes temporarily for some time but again it comes back. (Guess what? I again have to do that stupid alt+ctrl+del combination or just keep the nvidia driver disabled in device manager to prevent black screen from happening lol)

It's very annoying problem to say the least. I wish I could be able to use my system with 4GB of RAM as that doesn't cause any problems... but I need 8 GB as I am a creative professional and the software that I use requires atleast 8 GB of RAM!!! I feel stuck.

I am forced to use 8 GB of RAM now (and endure all the additional 3 problems that comes with it as I mentioned above! )

Please help me!
    This gigabyte motherboard has become a headache!!

Also, please let me know if I need to change a specific setting inside the motherboard BIOS for 8 GB RAM to work correctly. I have never tinkered with advanced settings like memory timings or voltages. I run my system at stock settings as I am not a gamer who require overclocking. (Note that all my 4 RAM modules are of 800 MHz speed).

Hope I've provided enough information about my problems to find the ideal solution.
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by manish30885; 03-30-2017, 12:00 PM. Reason: additional doubts

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R having wierd issues with 8 GB RAM

Welcome to the forum.

What is the full model number for your ram?

Provide a cropped screen-shot similar to my attached image where you include:
    • cpu-z cpu and SPD windows
    • EasyTune6 where you click on the Tuner -> Advance -> Voltage tabs
    • MemTest v4.1 - click on the >> tab to display information for both memory channels

With 8GB of memory, the tRFC bios setting should be in the 64 - 72 range.

Download the latest EasyTune6 software from the Gigabyte web page for your motherboard.

You might find it easier to temporarily boot with only 6GB of memory to create your screen-shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F11d Q9550 + EP45-UD3P @ 2.83GHz 1066MHz enhance=Turbo+ET6+Memset+cpu-z[a].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	755163
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Ok. I am providing you those screenshots of the said monitoring tools. Hope it displays the information you're looking for about my RAM models.

Yes, my system boots perfectly on 6 GB of RAM without causing any display issues, nvidia driver issues, BSOD errors or black screen. I am also providing you the CPU-Z reading of all my currently occupied RAM slots additionally as I feel that might be crucial to the troubleshooting.

Note that one 2 GB RAM stick which is left unattached is a Kingston RAM having same specifications as the RAMs currently connected.

Please let me know what's the next step in troubleshooting. Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-04-01_10-05-09.jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	755164

Comment

Using mixed memory models and/or brands often causes stability problems. You have three Kingston modules and one Transcend module. The week/year information for each module shows different manufacture dates and the week/year information for the removed module might indicate that it was also from a different batch. Ideally your memory modules would all be from the same batch.

With your 800MHz memory settings, tRFC = 52 might be OK with 8GB, but it might help to use a somewhat looser setting in the 56 - 60 range to see if it helps.

Changing the MCH Core voltage to a slightly higher setting often helps when you have more that 2GB of memory. You shouldn't need to go higher than 1.20.

MCH Core that is too high or too low can lead to boot loop problems when turning on your system.

It might help if you increase memory voltage to 1.92 or possibly up to 2.00 volts.

If none of the above suggestions help, change the default Performance Enhance bios setting in the M.I.T. section from Turbo to Standard.

Are you using the latest standard Gigabyte bios version for your motherboard?
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Re: GA-EP45-UD3R having wierd issues with 8 GB RAM [SOLVED]

Excuse me for a late reply.

I followed your troubleshooting advice and began tinkering with my BIOS settings for achieving stability running 8 GB of DDR2 RAM. I took a step-by-step procedure trying out various combinations of tRFC, MCH Core & memory voltages to see which values make the system stable with 8 GB RAM.

It took me 3 days to figure out perfect values of these parameters which works best. (Hence the late reply.) But finally letting you know that I was able to solve BSOD, nvidia driver crashes and Black screens finally with the below settings I am linking in the screenshot for all to see. Hopefully it will help others like me who have this motherboard and trying to run 8 GB RAM on it.

Thank you for giving me correct guidance! I'll definitely ask for help again in this forum if I ever upgrade my system with newer motherboard.
          (which probably I will soon in near future, since 8 GB seems to be fully saturated for the type of work that I do on my PC - like video editing & music production.) That type of task probably requires 16 GB or even more RAM which only current lineup of motherboards can handle.

Okay, Here's what I did:

1) First I tried all changing tRFC values from default 52 to 53,54,...60. But unfortunately, that didn't make any difference. My system was still unstable on 8 GB.
          2) Then I began increasing the voltages of MCH core & Memory. (in 1 point incremental steps to be safe). Hopefully I didn't have to go too high as just a small bump in the voltage did the trick and my system became stable!

Now I can use 8 GB/ 6 GB RAM without any issues - No BSOD, no nvidia driver crash, no black screens! I am happy

Here's the screen shot of EasyTune 6 with changed voltages highlighted in red. (I've also attached a text box explaining it so that it will be helpful for whoever reads this post.)

I am marking the post as SOLVED.

Best regards,
          Manish

Click image for larger version

Name:	FINAL SOLUTION TO BSOD and BLACK screen (on 6 and 8 GB RAM).jpg
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	755165

Comment

You're welcome, I'm glad to hear that your system is now stable with minor voltage adjustments.

Thank you for providing your updated EasyTune 6 screen-shot along with the details so that other readers will be able to benefit from your experience.

Comment

Working...
            X