Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review"

Re: Intel Optane Memory 32GB M.2 NVMe SSD Review

Great review Jon, thanks!

I happened to read a news story about the release of the Optane "Memory Accelerator" SSDs on another website. It provided links to reviews of the Optane Memory modules, and I chose your TweakTown review first. Most of the comments to the news story were negative unfortunately, by people that did not bother to read a review like yours. Prior to reading your review, I wondered how it would be done, since I knew these first Optane SSDs were using a PCIe 3.0 x2 interface, and would have limited large file sequential read speed performance. Since that seems to be all that matters, or impresses too many PC enthusiasts, despite your years of harping, how could you compare this SSD in the best way possible to other NVMe SSDs? As it turned out, I should have known better.

As you demonstrated in your testing, this Optane SSD is the undisputed king of random 4K read speed. Up to five times the 4K read speed of the 2TB 960 Pro on your Z270 system, as well as superior read performance in Anvil's 32K and 128K file size tests. It was surpassed only in the 4MB file test. As you said, this is game changing, and from an SSD that is 62.5 times smaller than the 2TB 960 Pro.

I'll be getting one to team up with a SanDisk Extreme Pro, or Samsung 850. I use Samsung SM951s, 950 Pros, 960 EVOs, Intel 750s, on various PCs as the OS drive. As you said, the difference in booting performance between good SATA SSDs and NMVe SSDs is small or none. If the 8000p does not make a difference in the boot speed of Windows, then it must be Windows itself that is the limiting factor.

What, no test of two of these in RAID 0? Not possible? Or is that coming soon?

Comment

Working...
    X