No announcement yet.

Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?

I have a doubt regarding "VCCPLL OC" setting in GA-Z270X-Gaming 5(rev.1.0) motherboard BIOS.

I had problems with default BIOS settings in the past, where CPU temperature reached almost 100 ° on load. I'm using a Noctua NH-D14 cooler (one of the best air coolers out there).

In "what's new" section for F5 BIOS (in Gigabyte page), it mentioned a "V core voltage adjust", indicating some voltage problems with the previous BIOS.

Now, in F7 BIOS, temperatures are lower than before, but still high.

In the massive "Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k?" thread in Intel Forums, at

Thermal sensor issue i7-7700k? |Intel Communities

the user "AndrewRossi" suggested some changes in voltages (third post in the page) to meet 7700K standard requirements, which were told to reduce temperatures, and also the temperature "spikes" that are common to most i7 7700K owners.

Following the advices in the given thread, I changed the following:

"CPU Vcore", from "Auto" to "Normal". (That enables us to change "Dynamic Vcore (DVID)" setting)

"Dynamic Vcore (DVID)" from "Auto" to -0.035.

That lowered CPU Vcore from 1.235V to 1.200V

After that, I changed

"VCCPLL OC" from "Auto" to 1.090V. ("Auto" caused "VCCPLL OC" to be 1.250V)

In the image below, you can see how I ended up after the adjustments.

After rebooting the machine, the temperature difference is night and day: the CPU temperature is ~20 degrees lower than before, and it's stable: no crashing or errors in stress tests.

I searched about the subject, and some people said "the temperatures could be wrong" due to the low "VCCPLL OC" value (?).

I looked for some concrete information, but all I found was people who contacted other vendors, and they just gave vague answers like: "We don't recommend you to change voltages" or "VCCPLL is Phased-Locked Loop".

Now my question is:

Does lowering the "VCCPLL OC" affect the Thermal Sensor, so that it could be reporting INCORRECT temperatures?

Thanks

Re: Massive drop in temps by lowering "VCCPLL OC" in BIOS: Is the reported temperature correct?

Originally posted by alb3530;508775[B
    Does lowering the "VCCPLL OC" affect the Thermal Sensor, so that it could be reporting INCORRECT temperatures?[/B]

Thanks
    YES! I have done some testing and lowering the voltage makes the temps wrong. I also have a gigabyte z270 board

see
    here

Has anyone gotten to the bottom of CPU PLL OC/VCCPLL OC voltage directly affecting Core temps | [H]ard|Forum
    New Q9650, Gigabyte UD3P, 4GB OCZ Platinum, Asus TOP 4850, Antec TP3 550W, Vista 64 SP1/XP SP3.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2641801

Comment

Working...
    X