No announcement yet.

Fans keep spinning after shutdown (X299 UD4)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fans keep spinning after shutdown (X299 UD4)

Recently completed a new build where everything works fine, case fans and CPU-fan runs quietly during operation.

But... when I shutdown the computer (either in Windows or by the case on/off button), Windows shuts down nicely but then all fans (case fans GPU and CPU fan) rev up a couple of notches and stay on. And will stay on forever.
    This is not as if it was going through a "cooling down phase" or anything.
    When I hit the power button again, all fans rev down and system boots fine.

Have checked all the power related features in Windows and what I can see in BIOS and system is not going into hibernation or anything as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions on what to try?

X299-UD4 MB,
    F4 BIOS
    i9-7980EX CPU
    64 GB RAM
    GTX 1060 graphics card
    A couple of USB units plugged in.
    Power Supply is a Cooler Master Pro Gold, 1000W from 2011 which worked fine in the previous build for all these years.

• No overclocking, BIOS is pretty much at default (Auto) values for everything.
    • Soundcard disabled in BIOS
    • Intel RST enabled in BIOS (running 3 RAID0 volumes).
    • Temps are around 30-40 degrees during use. System is (now) runing with case sides removed so it's definitely not overheating.
    • I have tried clearing CMOS and replaced CMOS battery (which was below 3V from factory).
    • I have tried unplugging USB devices with no difference.
    • Also noted that if I power down completely with the switch on the PSU (naturally all fans shut down) and power back up, BIOS thinks CMOS has been reset even though CMOS battery is fresh.

Re: Fans keep spinning after shutdown (X299 UD4) [SOLVED]

Solved.
    Replaced Power Supply (w. a Seasonic Prime Gold 850W) and now everything shuts down completely, both with a case power switch toggle and power down in Windows.

Originally posted by Swede1 View Post
    Recently completed a new build where everything works fine, case fans and CPU-fan runs quietly during operation.

But... when I shutdown the computer (either in Windows or by the case on/off button), Windows shuts down nicely but then all fans (case fans GPU and CPU fan) rev up a couple of notches and stay on. And will stay on forever.
    This is not as if it was going through a "cooling down phase" or anything.
    When I hit the power button again, all fans rev down and system boots fine.

Have checked all the power related features in Windows and what I can see in BIOS and system is not going into hibernation or anything as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions on what to try?

X299-UD4 MB,
    F4 BIOS
    i9-7980EX CPU
    64 GB RAM
    GTX 1060 graphics card
    A couple of USB units plugged in.
    Power Supply is a Cooler Master Pro Gold, 1000W from 2011 which worked fine in the previous build for all these years.

• No overclocking, BIOS is pretty much at default (Auto) values for everything.
    • Soundcard disabled in BIOS
    • Intel RST enabled in BIOS (running 3 RAID0 volumes).
    • Temps are around 30-40 degrees during use. System is (now) runing with case sides removed so it's definitely not overheating.
    • I have tried clearing CMOS and replaced CMOS battery (which was below 3V from factory).
    • I have tried unplugging USB devices with no difference.
    • Also noted that if I power down completely with the switch on the PSU (naturally all fans shut down) and power back up, BIOS thinks CMOS has been reset even though CMOS battery is fresh.

Comment

Working...
    X