Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird SATA Controller Issue

Hi,

Been running a Windows 10 PC with an ASRock N3150-ITX motherboard and a Syba/IOCrest SI-PEX40064 SATA PCI-e x1 Controller Card for some time (3-4 months) without issues.

A few weeks ago I powered up the PC and noticed it froze during POST, switched it off and tried powering on again. This time the PSU kept repeatedly starting and immediately powering off - power led was just flicking on and off all the time.

I could get the PC to power on normally if I removed the SATA PCI-e card - so I guessed the card was faulty. Amazon replaced the card, but with the replacement card, the same fault reoccurred.

So I swap out the PSU for an old Powercool PCPC450AUBA 450W PSU I had lying around (Purchased in 2010). And guess what - the PC boots with the SATA card in-situ.

Great I thought - a faulty PSU was the culprit. So I order a brand new Corsair VS450 PSU, not wanting to use the old Powercool PSU.

Plugged in the Corsair PSU and noticed two things - a very noisy fan and a pronounced flicker on the power led when it powered on, it did power on with the SATA card in-situ. Being not happy with the operation of this PSU, I got Amazon to replace it with a Seasonic S12-II 620W PSU.

Plugging in the Seasonic, I was amazed to see the old fault back - with the SATA card, repeated starting and immediate powering off - without the SATA card, no issues.

Finally in desperation I try another motherbard - an ASRock N3700-ITX.

Using the new Seasonic PSU and the new replacement SATA card, exactly the same fault occurs - with the SATA card no POST - without the SATA card everything is OK.

Both motherboards were reflashed with the latest BIOS and then cleared to default settings.

So what do I have?

A second faulty SATA controller?
    Two faulty PSUs?
    Two faulty motherboards?

Why does everything work with a seven year old PSU designed when Pentium P4s were still around?

Please someone explain all this to me.
Working...
X