GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1 and NVMe PCIe lanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1 and NVMe PCIe lanes

I've a GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1 mainboard, which provides two M.2 Slots, where I want to put NVMe drives into it.

Looking into the manual (page 36) there is a table, what will work and not work.

When I do put one Samsung 970 Pro into the M2C_32G M.2 Slot, it works with 4x PCIe lanes, as it should be.
    But I noticed, when I do put my Samsung 970 Pro in the M2B_32G M.2 Slot, it only runs with 2x PCIe lanes.

Could someone explain the table for me? For my understanding, there is a note for SATA3_6 and SATA3_7, that both will run with 2x PCIe lanes, when there are devices connected to them.
    Since for my test, I don't have any devices connected to the SATA ports, I would expect also 4x PCIe lanes on the M2B_32G M.2 Slot.

Am I wrong? Could someone enlight me?

Re: GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1 and NVMe PCIe lanes

I have the GT version, but I am not running PCIE ssd's. That said, I think you are reading it correctly. It could be a glitch in the bios. It appears to "autosense" nothing on SATA 3_4 and SATA 3_5, and give you full PCIEx4 bandwith on the M2C connector. Doesn't seem to be working correctly on the M2B connector as you explained. Since you want x4 bandwidth for both PCIE ssd's you can try manually disabling those ports in the bios ( 3_4 thru 3_7). With a little luck, the board will see it does not need to reserve bandwith for those SATA ports, and will then allocate full x4 bandwidth to both ssd's. Latest bios? If so, and disabling SATA ports does not work, maybe Gigabyte support can get you a beta bios that fixes it. It is hard to get responses from support these days tho.

Comment

Re: GA-Z170X-Gaming-G1 and NVMe PCIe lanes

Thanks for your answer. The problem is, I don't have any option in the UEFI to disable SATA3_6 and SATA3_7, since there are the ASMedia Ports, not the chipset ones, which can be disabled.

Comment

Working...
      X