ASRock z390 Taichi v1.80 BIOS SSD issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASRock z390 Taichi v1.80 BIOS SSD issues

I recently installed the latest BIOS for my motherboard and something is seriously wrong with it. I have a Samsung 970 PRO SSD and my userbench score after updating went to preforming well below expectations. I reverted back to v1.60 and now they're back to normal. My system felt sluggish in general. I was wondering if anyone else experienced the same issue?

Problem solved: I couldn't find my USB stick the first time around thus used Windows to flash. Apparently, that's a big no-no. I flashed via instant flash and everything is fine now. Although some users on the official AsRock forums are still reporting the problem even though they used instant flash. I'm wondering if ASRock may have fixed 1.80 and stealthy changed the download.
    Last edited by teegale; 12-18-2018, 11:39 AM.

Re: ASRock z390 Taichi v1.80 BIOS SSD issues

"I have a Samsung 970 PRO SSD and my userbench score after updating went to preforming well below expectations."

How did you get the score?
    Which benchmark tool do you mean?
    Regards

Comment

I have the same motherboard and am running the v1.80 BIOS. Can you share what your benchmark speeds were before (when it was slow) and after (after you fixed it). I want to see how my speeds compare to yours. I have both a NVMe Samsung 960 Pro and NVMe Samsung 970 EVO.

To my disappointment, both my drives benchmark at slightly below average in the PassMark Disk Mark:

Comment

Originally posted by jfriend00 View Post
        I have the same motherboard and am running the v1.80 BIOS. Can you share what your benchmark speeds were before (when it was slow) and after (after you fixed it). I want to see how my speeds compare to yours. I have both a NVMe Samsung 960 Pro and NVMe Samsung 970 EVO.

To my disappointment, both my drives benchmark at slightly below average in the PassMark Disk Mark:

Unfortunately I forgot to save the test results from 1.80 the first time I flashed it. I ran Userbenchmark multiple times after upgrading and all I remember was it saying that it was "preforming way below expectations" after flashing v.180

I've since re flashed 1.80 and everything seems to be fine now, although many users on the AsRock forums are still reporting issues regarding their NVME SSD's on that version. I have no idea what the deal is but everything is fine for me now. Here is the comparison for 1.60 and 1.80 after everything was sorted out.

v1.60: Asrock Z390 Taichi Performance Results - UserBenchmark
        v1.80: Asrock Z390 Taichi Performance Results - UserBenchmark

Comment

Where is it that people are talking about this issue? I'd like to see the other forum traffic on the topic.

Comment

Originally posted by jfriend00 View Post
            Where is it that people are talking about this issue? I'd like to see the other forum traffic on the topic.
            Z390 Taichi Bios 1.80 problems - ASRock Forums - Page 1

Some people are having the issue, others are not. It's very odd.
            Last edited by teegale; 01-03-2019, 12:56 PM.

Comment

FYI, there is version 1.90 of the Taichi Bios out now. It purports improvements related to PCIE which I wonder if they have anything to do with NVMe drive performance. It lists these changes:

1.Update instant flash module.
              2.Improve the PCIe device compatibility.

One other thing to consider. There are a number of programs now that offer "ransomware protection" for your disks. For example, I have MalwareBytes as my anti-virus and it offers that. I use Acronis as my backup solution and it has "ransomware protection" too. I found that both of those really slowed down my disk benchmarks by as much as 20% as apparently they are inserting themselves into the write chain to check everything that's written to disk. I'm not saying what one should do with this ransomware protection, but it does appear to slow things down.
              Last edited by jfriend00; 01-16-2019, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X