H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H81M-C/CSM and Haswell refresh

I bought a used H81M-C/CSM motherboard off of ebay with the intention of running a cnc machine because it has a a parallel printer port and I already own supporting hardware for this platform.

Upon receipt I tested motherboard with a pentium g3250, i3 4160, i5 4460 and i5 4590s. I tried several psus, ddr3 1600 ram modules, vga and 3 different graphic cards. In each case the fans would power on but no post beep or display.

I messaged the seller informing him that the motherboard didn't apparently function. He promptly sent me another board of the same model from his stock but the 2nd motherboard behaved no differently than the first.

I then tried a i5 4670k from my z97 rig and both boards worked. I proceeded to update the bios in both boards and tested them with all the newer release haswell's above. Still no post, beep or display except with the i5 4670k.

I tried several bios versions that show applicable support for the cpus i intended to use. I also used several methods of flashing the bios from ezflash, DOS bupdater, ai suite 3, an ami tool. Each time the bios would show the new bios version but still no support for above cpus.

Asus has a recommended tool for updating bios in windows that gets stuck at a screen prompting me to install Intel Management Engine. According to device manager ME is installed and working.

I've read about a python script run at bios level to disable parts of ME over concerns of Intel having a back door into a computer's lower level operations.

The CSM suffix of the board model indicates it is a Corporate Stable Model. Perhaps ME has been modified on these boards by some entity over security concerns? Could that block new microcodes from being utilized by the bios? Any other ideas or suggestions? Simular experiences?
Working...
X