Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem

Hello Everyone:

My computer, has recently started making noises "loader then normal".

I have, done some recent reading and found out that your power supply fan can be the cause of the noise, because the bairings get worn out.

I will to describe what the noise, sounds like since you can't post recordings.

Have you ever treid to play a music, or game cd and there is some sort of coating on a section of the disk "you have forgoten to clean the disk" and the cd has trouble spinning and being read, well it sounds a little like that.

I have also experienced a problem with Norton Disk Doctor, and an simular problem with "Scan Disk".

When I ran "Norton Disk Doctor" it gave me an error message that went something like this.

Norton Disk Doctor is unable to run because your operating system or a service has exclusive access to the disk and files. Norton Disk Doctor will now close. Would you like to plan for a scan to be done the next time you restart?

A simular message appears in Scan Disk, in order for it to scan you have to restart.

I have already, restarted my computer and have had the "CheckDisk chkdisk" program to run and fix errors as well as Scan Disk and I have also done a defragmention season.

And the last two, things I have done is reformate my drive and reinstall windows, and reinstall windows again.

None of these things seems to have done anything. I have come to the conclusion to it must be hardware.

If anyone has, had this problem before please tell me how to fix it.

I am trying to find out, if its a big problem before I replace my hard drive.

Thank you for your time, sorry for the long message.

Hi, this really isn't appropriate in the WinXP forum as it has nothing to do with your OS. I'll move it to the appropriate forum.
    My Machine

Comment

Full details of ya hardware here will be of great help plus what other software ya may have there. PSU fans can go bad but replacin' the fan isn't that hard but similar sounds can be made by drives and other fans. Ya problem runnin' diagnostic programs is another program/service usually running and stopping the diagnostic tools from working. ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Thanks Wiggo, for the suggestion of posting my Software and Hardware collection information.

Hardware:
        Drive: [D:] Hp Cd-Writer+9100
        Device: Intel[r] 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller
        Input Devices: Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard Logitech USB First/Pilot Mouse+
        Network Adapter: Amd PCnet-Home Based Network Adapter (Generic)
        Drive: [A:] 3 1/2 Inch Floppy Drive
        Disk: Quantum Fireball Ict15 13.99 GB
        Card: Nvidia Riva Tnt 2 Model 64

Software:
        Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
        Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0
        Adobe Acrobat Reader 5.1
        Aol Instant Messenger 5.1
        Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.1

Comment

Working...
        X