Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gigabyte z390 CPU Problem

hello,

i have this setup ordered but i have a problem to func all: gigabyte z390 x with intel i7 9700K and bequiet pure power 11 600w an G skills 16GB DDR4 3200

when i turn on the pc the CPU Error Led on the mainboard lights red, i tested a lot of things. the RAM in a other PC work, the CPU in a other PC work also. i have seend that this board has 2 connectors for the CPU, 1 with 4 Pins and 1 with 8 Pins. do i need all two to work fine or can i connect only the 4 Pin and this have to work also?

i cant find any other problem. if there is nothing i can do i send the hardware back and buy something other...

thanks a lot and i can test also thins when you say me something

Re: gigabyte z390 CPU Problem

I'm sure you have at least one 8pin or 2x4pin cpu power connector, use that.

Is the cpu SRELT or SRG15?
    I think the first 4 digits of the serial number are for month/week what are they?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      I'm sure you have at least one 8pin or 2x4pin cpu power connector, use that.

Is the cpu SRELT or SRG15?
      I think the first 4 digits of the serial number are for month/week what are they?
      thanks for your answer. yes i have a 2x 4pin cpu connector like the pictureClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200220_100314.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	755263
      but i have on the motherboard 1x a 8pin connector an 1x a 4pin connector for the cpu, i hope i can only use the 4pin connector for the cpu. i read in the manual that the 8pin connect is a second time the 12v for a more stable voltage on high end cpu, but there is not written if i have to use both or can i also use only the 4pin connector.

there is written SRG15 V945D174 on the cpu

Comment

Originally posted by sirmazze View Post
        hello,

i have this setup ordered but i have a problem to func all: gigabyte z390 x with intel i7 9700K and bequiet pure power 11 600w an G skills 16GB DDR4 3200

when i turn on the pc the CPU Error Led on the mainboard lights red, i tested a lot of things. the RAM in a other PC work, the CPU in a other PC work also. i have seend that this board has 2 connectors for the CPU, 1 with 4 Pins and 1 with 8 Pins. do i need all two to work fine or can i connect only the 4 Pin and this have to work also?

i cant find any other problem. if there is nothing i can do i send the hardware back and buy something other...

Hi sirmazze,

For Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X (Rev 1.0) to work with the 9th generation Intel Core processors you need Bios version F7 or newer.

Make sure your motherboard is Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X (Rev 1.0), since Gigabyte has a butt load of motherboards with Z390
        and very similar names.

Go to the Gigabyte site (using a working PC of course), and download the latest Bios: F10c dated 2019/12/18

For Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X (Rev 1.0) the link is:

Z390 GAMING X (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

You will find it under BIOS(+7) pull down menu. If you 're wondering how you upgrade the Bios in a non operational motherboard,
        in modern motherboards you can access Bios even without a CPU (use the onboard graphics monitor connection instead of the
        external Graphics Adapter's one, to be on the safe side).

P.S. The PSU is not your problem right now, but since any decent PSU has two at least 8 pins connectors for the CPU power
        (with both to be able to split to 2 x 4 pins connectors), if I where you I would change that PSU for a better one, especially
        if you 're planning to do some overclocking.
        Don't get me wrong the Be Quiet Pure Power 11 600W CM is not a cheap one, but it has unusually few connectors for it's price.

I hope I've helped a bit.

Ares
        Last edited by ahartakis; 02-20-2020, 05:54 AM.

Comment

hello,

Hi sirmazze,

For Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X (Rev 1.0) to work with the 9th generation Intel Core processors you need Bios version F7 or newer.

Make sure your motherboard is Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X (Rev 1.0), since Gigabyte has a butt load of motherboards with Z390
          and very similar names.

Go to the Gigabyte site (using a working PC of course), and download the latest Bios: F10c dated 2019/12/18

For Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X (Rev 1.0) the link is:

You will find it under BIOS(+7) pull down menu. If you 're wondering how you upgrade the Bios in a non operational motherboard,
          in modern motherboards you can access Bios even without a CPU (use the onboard graphics monitor connection instead of an

P.S. The PSU is not your problem right now, but since any decent PSU has two at least 8 pins connectors for the CPU power
          (with both to be able to split to 2 x 4 pins connectors), if I where you I would change that PSU for a better one, especially
          Don't get me wrong the Be Quiet Pure Power 11 600W CM is not a cheap one, but it has unusually few connectors for it's price.

Ares
          Last edited by ahartakis; 02-20-2020, 05:54 AM.

Comment

hello,

Hi sirmazze,

and very similar names.

For the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X (Rev 1.0) the link is:

in modern motherboards you can access Bios even without a CPU (use the onboard graphics monitor connection instead of an

Don't get me wrong the Be Quiet Pure Power 11 600W CM is not a cheap one, but it has few connectors for it's price.

Ares

Comment

thanks a lot for your help.
              but the pc wont boot. i take out the cpu and have only the ram and the ssd on the motherboard and the power supply but there wont get anything on the onboard hdmi.
              do i have to do somethint that the motherboard will boot in that mode to the bios withoud the CPU?
              thanks

Comment

What are the first 4 digits of the serial number?
                SNxxxx

Comment

thanks a lot for your help.
                  but the pc wont boot. i take out the cpu and have only the ram and the ssd on the motherboard and the power supply but there wont get anything on the onboard hdmi.
                  do i have to do somethint that the motherboard will boot in that mode to the bios withoud the CPU?
                  thanks

As I have already explicitly told you, you don't need a CPU, or RAM, or an SSD attached on the motherboard to update the BIOS, only the PSU. In that case the motherboard WILL NOT BOOT,
                  and how would it boot without a CPU or without the correct BIOS to recognize that CPU? (it's the same thing really!). But that's not the case, we don't want the PC to boot, we want it
                  to update to the new BIOS. I can't make it more clear than that to you.

The reason that I told you that the motherboard probably needs an BIOS update is that as you mentioned, only the CPU fault led turns on (but the CPU checks OK on an other motherboard),
                  so it is highly possible that that's the case. So I have put a link bellow of a YouTube video from Gigabyte itself, explaining how to update the BIOS to a motherboard that won't start with your
                  current CPU. It's the "Second Method: Q-Flash+".

If you follow all the instructions correctly and your motherboard still won't boot (or won't upgrade to the new BIOS), you may have a DOA (Dead On Arrival) board on your hands.

But first, let me give you some very useful advises:

1. If you haven't done this before, have a friend that has done it, to physically come and do it for you. Updating BIOS is a process that if done in the wrong way, can turn a perfectly good
                  motherboard to useless junk. What you do, you do it at your own risk.

2. You will need a USB flash drive to write the uncompressed files of the new BIOS. Since all new USB flash drives (especially those larger than 32GB) are pre-formated from the factory using exFAT
                  that the motherboard won't recognize, you will need to format it using FAT filesystem, and then copy the uncompressed new BIOS.

3. According to Gigabyte, you put the USB flash drive to the "White USB" port of your motherboard (for the "Second Method: Q-Flash+" to work), if your specific motherboard doesn't have a
                  "White USB", and using the others USB ports won't work, then you should ask Gigabyte Tech Support how to update the BIOS of your specific motherboard model with that method.

4. If all goes well and the upgrade process begins, DO NOT INTERRUPT THE PROCESS, DO NOT RESET THE SYSTEM, DO NOT TURN OFF THE POWER, for any reason, leave it alone to complete
                  the upgrade. I have seen a board to restart not once, not twice, but three times on it's own until the upgrade ends!!! If you interrupt it for any reason you will have a dead board in your hands.

This is the link to the Gigabyte YouTube video (remember follow "Second Method: Q-Flash+"):

3 ways to update your GIGABYTE Motherboard BIOS - YouTube

If you don't know how to format a USB flash drive using FAT filesystem, or how to uncompress the new BIOS, this is a link to an 2008 article "BIOS Flashing With Qflash" from this forum, but since then
                  the Floppy Disk Drive mentioned is obsolete, so stick to the USB flash drive part:

BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide"

Let me know what happened. Good luck!!!

Ares

Comment

the serial from the cpu is V945D174 and from the motherboard i cant find only this sticker with 4/G/JBA085 00119

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200221_081238.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	755264
                    Last edited by sirmazze; 02-21-2020, 01:24 AM.

Comment

the serial from the cpu is V945D174 and from the motherboard i cant find only this sticker with 4/G/JBA085 00119
                      Serial number of the motherboard

Comment

Working...
                      X