GeForce FX Power Consumption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce FX Power Consumption

I hear that the FX is going to take a LOT of power and actually requires that you plug power into it straight from the power supply... am I going to need to upgrade my 430 watt power supply, or should that be enough to handle it? I've got a 16x dvd, 120gb hard drive, 18gb hard drive, 24x cd burner... audigy platinum livedrive, 250mb internal zip... 1.73ghz athlon xp....

I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet your current PSU will be more than powerful enough.
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Yeah, I didn't think it would be a problem... But one of my friends who's also fairly computer-savvy seemed to think he might need to upgrade his power supply when he got the fx card and he has a setup almost exactly the same as mine but with a 550w... though, he does have a Dual MP setup rather than single xp... and those processors take lots of power, so maybe that was his concern.

Comment

The extra power outlet on the GeForce FX is mist likely just going to be for its cooling system and that won't draw a great deal of power.
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Speaking of which--any word onto when an actual release date for the card might be? It seems to keep changing... And every source I look at says something different.

Comment

My guess is 2 months before we start seeing them in great supply, 1 month till they start coming on shelves and selling out the day they get their stock... :)
            Managing Director
            Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by enhancedstudios
              Yeah, I didn't think it would be a problem... But one of my friends who's also fairly computer-savvy seemed to think he might need to upgrade his power supply when he got the fx card and he has a setup almost exactly the same as mine but with a 550w... though, he does have a Dual MP setup rather than single xp... and those processors take lots of power, so maybe that was his concern.
              all the MP athlon boards I've used specify a minimum of 400W...so you probably have just as much of a safety factor as he does

Comment

R9700's have the same power requirements and I've only heard of some ppl w/ 350w and less PSU's havin' probs w/ them. ;)
                <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                X