Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SG33G5 Bios options - help needed

Default SG33G5 Bios options - help needed

I am considering to overclock my SG33G5 with Q6600 and wonder what EXACTLY the CPU DOC SET function (dynamic overclocking) does. Does it increase the FSB or what? Also, what does the CPU TDP SET function do? The manual doesn't give any details on this. You help is much appreciated, thanks!

Default Re: SG33G5 Bios options - help needed

Hey azenz,

Basically what the Dynamic Overclocking (DoC) does is increase your CPU FSB and RAM FSB accordingly, if you experience instability you might want to increase RAM voltage.
    The CPU TDP (Thermal Design Power) is how much power the CPU can consume, this is used in conjuction with DoC, leaving it at default is recommended.
    You should leave the BIOS settings along unless you know what you are doing, just my advice.
    Eric
    SHUTTLE Technical Support

And if I do not use DoC but increase the FSB manually, will the RAM FSB also increase even if RAM speeds are set to 667 or 800 Mhz? By the way, I am aware of the risks involved, hence my specific questions :).

No, you need to increase CPU and RAM speed at different places.
    Eric

Thanks for the info. Why does the SG33G5 brochure say you can overclock the RAM to 1066 Mhz? The bios only offers 667/800 Mhz settings, and 20% overclock per DoC would only yield a RAM speed of 960 Mhz, right?

The OC 1066 means it can support 1066MHz DDR2, not that you can overclock them to 1066MHz.
    Last edited by SHUTTLE - Eric Wang; 08-28-2007 at 05:33 PM.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by SHUTTLE - Eric **** View Post
    The OC 1066 means it can support 1066MHz RAM, not that you can overclock the RAM to 1066MHz.
    I presume we are talking to 1066MHz DDR - that would be important to remember

Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

But the brochure says "Supports 1066 Mhz DDR2 ram in overclocking mode". Also, what is the point of putting 1066 Mhz DDR Ram in if the Bios clearly doesn't support it, and so you would have to run it at 800 Mhz...? :)

See https://www.shuttleshop.nl/<wbr>pdf/shuttle/barebones/SG33G5.pdf

Ok, I have some more details to clarify your question.
    In order to achieve RAM speed of 1066MHz you will need have your CPU FSB set to 1066MHZ, it will attempt to overclock your RAM to 1066MHz even with a 800MHz DD2 if it is able to be overclocked to 1066MHz, hence the stated overclocking mode.
    Since you have a Q6600 which has 1066Mz FSB, if you insall 800MHz DDR2 you can have 1066MHz DDR2 via the BIOS overclock. Currently the BIOS has the CPU and RAM FSB locked in place, therefore it will attempt to pull up the RAM FSB with the CPU FSB.
    Eric

Well, I am sorry but I don't quite understand.

Assume I bought 800 Mhz Ram and do not wish to overclock it but run it at 800 Mhz, then I set the Ram speed in the bios to 800 Mhz. So what you are saying is that then it will be clocked at FSB speed of 1066, regardless of which speed I have set for the Ram. That doesn't make sense. Usually, if you want to overclock you have to choose an overclocking option, and if you leave it at regular settings it won't overclock. What you say makes me think that if I put a Q6600 in the machine it will AUTOMATICALLY overclock it to the 1066 Mhz FSB. I am sure that cannot be. Also, the brochure says "in overclocking mode", meaning not in regular mode, right? So there must be a special bios setting that allows Ram overclocking to 1066 Mhz, the question is: which one is it?

Thanks for your patience and for continuing to help here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information