Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange Boot Problem

Default Re: Strange Boot Problem

Thanks for your help. Does this then restrict the problem to the PSU or MB? It definitely can't be the CPU or memory?

Paul

No it doesn't, the problem could be both or none of them.
    Eric
    SHUTTLE Technical Support

Quote Originally Posted by praby View Post
    Thanks for your help. Does this then restrict the problem to the PSU or MB? It definitely can't be the CPU or memory?

Paul
    You basically have 4 possible problems 1 CPU 2 Ram 3 Motherboard 4 Power Supply and without being able to switch any of them out to tests its going to basically be impossible to narrow down the problem. Now if you Return the Shuttle and get another one that will eliminate two of the possible problems and if that solves the problem then you know it was either the mother board or power supply. If the new Shuttle has the same problem then you know it is either the cpu or ram.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor Over Clocked 3.1GHz
    Mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with EPP Profile Dual Channel
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB
    LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW

I've managed to borrow a cheap (but compatible) CPU and memory, and an ordinary ATX power supply. I'm going to test it all out tonight. Currently I can't even POST, so am I right in thinking that all I need to do is have the memory, CPU and test power supply in place to get a VGA display of POST out of the box? If that works then I can plug the disk, etc. in? Is this a good testing strategy, and should I be aware of anything else?

Paul

It's working - kind of!

I managed to test a few things out last night. Firstly I tried an ATX power supply. Still wouldn't boot - if anything slightly worse. Then I inadvertantly left it running without the fan connected to the heatsink (but still wired in). The processor warmed up - which I considered a good thing. Finally I tried OCZ memory and it booted straight away!

I'm glad it finally booted, though it would have been great if there had been some way of the system telling me (via beeps if necessary) that it wasn't happy with something...

Anyway, I then tried to install Vista x64 and I got a BSOD. Twice - related to USB. But that's tonight's adventure, and possibly a new thread on this forum!

Thanks for all your help.

Paul

Well I am glad you got going in the right direction so what was the problem? It did not like your original memory?
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor Over Clocked 3.1GHz
    Mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with EPP Profile Dual Channel
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB
    LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information