Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strange Boot Problem

Unhappy Strange Boot Problem

I've just raised the following with Shuttle tech support. I'm really confused - any help that anyone can provide would be most welcome. I need to identify which component is causing the trouble. This is my first Shuttle build!

The behaviour is that if I press the power button the machine powers up for about half a second only then switches off again. I can hear and feel the large fan at the back of the unit start, and the two interior LEDs both light up (orange and green) very briefly. Then everything stops and goes quiet.

If I repeat this cycle around 15 to 20 times then eventually the machine switches on, the fan starts to go and keeps going, and the interior lights stay on. I can hear the hard drive start up. The monitor which is plugged into the VGA socket reports no signal.

If I then power off the box and try to switch it on again the power comes on for about one second, then goes off for two, then comes back on again and stays on as before.

I don't understand why I get different behaviour depending on whether it is a 'cold' start where I have left the box powered off for some time (I've tried an hour), compared to a 'warm' start.

When fitting the components I have been wearing an anti static wrist strap and have taken great care. I have also disassembled and reassembled everything (including CPU, memory, and every connector onto the motherboard including power, fan and drive connections). It has made no difference to the above behaviour. I have reset the BIOS both with external and without external power, and have also reset the BIOS having removed the internal battery.

I have followed the instructions on your web site and tried it start it with only the memory and CPU in place and that didn't help either.

Here are my specifications:

Shuttle SG33G5 Barebone Black
    Western Digital Caviar 500GB S300 16mb 7200rpm
    LiteOn 20X DVD+/-RW/RAM L/S Retail Multi Bezel
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 S775 2.33ghz 4mb Cache 1333FSB
    Kingston ValueRAM 2x1GB 240-Pin DIMM PC2-6400 Non-ECC CAS5

Many thanks for your advice and I would appreciate a prompt response. Note that I don't have another PC in which to try CPU/memory easily.

Paul

Default Re: Strange Boot Problem

I don't suppose you know the version of your BIOS since you can't boot up your system..
    If you happen to have another CPU suitable I'd also give that a try.
    I'm still waiting for a few replies, will get back to you.
    Eric
    SHUTTLE Technical Support

I'm afraid I don't know the BIOS version. One other thing, and I don't know if it is significant or not. I have a wireless keyboard with a USB receiver. On an old PC as soon as I power on the receiver lights up. On the Shuttle it never lights up even once I seem to have stable power going through the system. I've also tried with a USB key and it seems that it simply doesn't have power. Does that fit with my scenario outlined previously, or is it irrelevant?

Thanks

Paul

Without knowing the BIOS version, it's a little hard to say, but i'm guessing its the BIOS having problems with your CPU, unless you have a spair CPU laying around and to test my theory. I'm still waiting for replies.
    Eric

No problem, I'll wait for your answer. I don't have a spare CPU.

It seems very odd that I get this problem behaving so differently depending on a cold or warm boot.

Paul

I'd suggest you return your machine and exchange for another one,
    see if that solves the problem.
    Eric

I will do - thanks for your advice. How often does this sort of thing happen - I take it that the risk is low of it happening again?!

Paul

Question Re: Strange Boot Problem

Thanks for all the advice. Can I just confirm something? If for any reason there were a problem with the CPU and/or memory (either faulty or incompatible) then I would still not expect to see the problem I am seeing with respect to failing to power up, but eventually after repeated attempts powering up?

Obviously without another unit to compare against itís hard to identify, however if itís possible to say that because of the cold/warm boot behaviour itís not just a CPU/memory problem but also at least a power/motherboard problem then that would be great!

Many thanks for all your help, and I hope to have a working Shuttle soon!

Paul

Question Re: Strange Boot Problem

See the previous posts, plus:

I've done some more testing and I can't interpret the results. It still won't boot or display anything, however...

I mentioned previously the two lights on the motherboard (orange and green). If I remove the stick of RAM furthest away from the CPU then just the green light is on. If I remove all of the RAM then neither light is on.
    What do the orange and green lights mean? Does the fact I can change their state by adding/removing RAM have any significance? Or does it not change the implication that the power supply is likely to be faulty and/or the motherboard?

Finally even if I leave it powered on for half an hour the CPU does not get warm - I've powered off the machine after 30 minutes and taken the heatsink off and the CPU is not warm. Is that normal given my scenario - it's not like the CPU will be doing any work?

Paul
    Last edited by praby; 09-12-2007 at 04:50 AM.

The LED lights up when you insert RAM into the DIMM slots,
    doesn't really tell you whats happening about the board.

Not being able to boot up brings up a lot of possibilities, and
    not being able to test them makes it difficult to narrow down
    the problem, there could be a problem with your PSU and/or MB
    and the best way is probably to return the old one and exchange
    for a new one to see if the problems go away.
    Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information