Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SK22 weird shutdown problem

Default Re: SK22 weird shutdown problem

Hi,

I've installed XPC tools on a couple of PC's, one that seems to more problematic than the other, and both show comparable temperatures(System=30C, CPU=34C,Board=0C).

Dave.

I'm not sure XPC Tools will show many differences between a good and bad pc, what I have found is that once Windows has actually loaded, the system is usually ok!

If a system is going to fail it usually does so at the BIOS screen, or even before it gets there.

fyi, AMD have now passed my question on which CPU's have been fixed (if any), to level 2 support. Hopefully I will have an answer soon.

Hi Guys,

I have had a response from AMD regarding the Rev F overheating processor problem, below is an extract from the email.

[FONT='Times New Roman','serif']"t[/FONT][FONT='Arial','sans-serif']he fix has been implemented on all revision G processors, those will be the processors with part numbers ending on DD (For example ADO5000IAA5DD). The fixed was not implemented on any rev F processors. This information can be found on the Revision Guide for AMD NPT Family 0Fh Processors, but only on the NDA version. Please make sure that you have the latest BIOS updates on the motherboard. That will usually fix any inaccurate temp readings."[/FONT]

This ties up with the problems we're experiencing, as all the faulty units have Rev F processors in them.

Changing to Rev G processors should solve the problem for our future products, but hopefully Shuttle can release an updated BIOS (using the alternative sensor mentioned in the AMD data sheet) which fixes the problem with our existing machines.

Hope this sorts your problem out as well MrRubbs!

Antwist.

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the update Antwist, I doubt very much that AMD would swap processors. Essentially they do work, the problem is possibly(awaiting confirmation from Eric), the method used to provide thermal protection. If that's the problem, it's sounds like AMD are of the opinion that it's a Flash BIOS update from the motherboard manufacturer that's required. I'm really hopeing it's that simple because we've had a few more Sk22's that have shown the same symptoms.
    Any news Eric?

Best Regards,

Dave.

Sorry guys for the late reply, was away the last few days.
    Things have taken a little longer, i'm checking to see how
    long it would take to get a BIOS update, as we do not
    have a Rev F AMD CPU on hand.
    Last edited by SHUTTLE - Eric Wang; 09-27-2007 at 12:51 AM.
    Eric
    SHUTTLE Technical Support

Im finally back in the office, I have managed to confirm that
    the problem can be fixed with a BIOS update, we just need to
    get our hands on one of those faulty CPUs.
    Eric

Hi Eric,

Many thanks for checking, I guess now it's a case of waiting patiently for the BIOS update! We've had a few more develop the same fault (now 11 out of 90), and I'd guess that there is a fair chance others stand a good chance of failing.(We we're close to RMAing the troublesome PC's!)

Many thanks again for all your help,

Dave.

Hey guys, just talked to the BIOS dude,
    are you guys still using the rev N BIOS?
    Can you update it to the latest T BIOS and let me know if your still experiencing the same problem, as we've tested here, its all fine.
    Eric

Hi Eric,
    As is normal for our organisation we try to flash all the PC's to the same BIOS level(latest is SK22S20T.BIN, I believe), using the recommended settings for awdflash, and using an external USB floppy drive to apply the Floppy drive based update. I Believe that the N version is what they shipped with.
    I will check some of the mounting stack of Blowers this afternoon and post my results.
    We have some SK22's that have not had any trouble, and others that Blow on a daily basis. common to all of them, is that when they do eventually work they work ok, until they either overheat or are switched off.
    Bye for now,
    Dave.

Hi Eric,

We have tried the Revision T bios on our faulty units and have experienced the same problems with them.

The Revision N was a definite improvement over the original Rev K (or earlier), and hence the reason we chose to stay with it. We have also tried every revision since then with no success.

Keeping my fingers crossed for an update solution!

Antwist.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information