Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: cant install BIOS from windows

Default cant install BIOS from windows

after installing the windows, i tried to install the BIOS using winflash.

it can't install. it returns an error

OnBoard BIOS is not Award BIOS

anyone can help?

Thanks.

EDIT: how do I check the BIOS version?
    Last edited by gameson; 09-23-2007 at 08:49 AM.

Default Re: cant install BIOS from windows

google "cpuz" and download it. when you run it (takes a few seconds to load) there should be 6 tabs at the top. click the one called mainboard, there is a section under there called bios. tells you what bios it is, and gives the version.
    My Rig;
    Mobo: MSI P7N SLI
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0,OC'd to 2.7Ghz
    RAM: 4Gb DDR2 900Mhz, 4-4-4-12 (GeIL)
    HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 320Gb x2, RAID 0
    Samsung Spinpoint 250Gb
    Sound: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    PSU: Antec Neo HE 550
    GFX: 2 x Zotac 8800GT AMP Edition in SLI
    Case: Antec 900
    Mouse: Razer Copperhead (Anarchy Red)
    Keyboard: Logitech Wave

I don't know why people can't state their hardware (the most important part) when they have a problem.

oh yeah, sorry

SG33G5
    2 GB RAM
    Windows Vista Business
    Onboard Video and sound
    500 GB Hitachi (sucks, btw, louder than the fan, lol)
    Samsung DVD burner

I d/l the winflash from Shuttle support website, then the BIOS bin from there as well. Double click the winflash and got the error msg per msg # 1

Honestly I don't like even thinking about flashing bios from windows I think its much safer to flash from a dos boot disk. With all of windows quarks BSOD and all its just one more thing that could screw up and kill your motherboard requiring a bios chip replacement to fix. There are some pretty good utilities and procedures to make dos boot cd's and or dos boot usb flash drives since most people do not have a floppy any more. I myself setup my flash drive to do that along with a simple bat file to do the actual flash command to make it easy. I have flashed my SG33G5 bios twice so far with that setup without any problems. Over on the Sudhian forums there are several threads with instructions on doing that you could check out.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor Over Clocked 3.1GHz
    Mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with EPP Profile Dual Channel
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB
    LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW

Do you know how to make a boot up disk for USB flash drive?

I made sure I had everything I wanted that was on the drive backed up then I use the HP USB drive utility to format the drive as a fat32 device and copy the win98 boot disk files to the drive it worked very easy and fast after I did that I just copied the dos bios update files on to the drive to make my life easier I also used word pad to create a simple bat file to do the update command so I would not screw it up c/p is a great thing smile while I was still in Win Vista and had access to the instructions
    Code:
    http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197
    That is a link to the HP utility it make creating a usb boot disk very easy

And to quote ig from over on Sudhian Forums
    I always end up having to post this. I wish the mods. would stick this at the top.

Instead of using WinFlash, get this clean boot CD:

Clean Bootable CD-Rom (for BIOS upgrade)
    Code:
    http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/#clean
    Burn the ISO to a CD. Then go to Shuttle’s FTP site and download the latest BIOS (the zip file). Unzip the contents of the zip file (should be the BIOS *.bin file and the awdflash.exe file) and burn those two files to another CD. Put the clean boot cd in you drive and reboot. Once it has booted with the clean boot CD and shown you what letter the CD drive is, switch to that drive by typing its letter plus a colon, at the command prompt. Take the clean boot CD out and put the other CD in (the CD with the BIOS *.bin file and the awdflash.exe file). Then type:

awdflash xxx.bin /cc/cd/cp/py/R

The “xxx” should be replaced with the filename of the BIOS bin file.

/cc = clear CMOS after Programming
    /cd = clear DMI after Programming
    /cp = clear PNP(ESCD) after Programming
    /py = Program Flash Memory
    /R = Reset System after Programming

After it restarts, go back into the BIOS, load the optimized defaults, save and exit. Then after it restarts, you can go back into the BIOS and configure it how you like.

Using all those switches / parameters ensures a “clean” BIOS update. It’s kind of like zero-filling your hard drive before re-installing your OS
    Like I said to make it easier I created a simple bat file in to do that actual update command to make it easier all I had to do was run the bat file and everything was started. One thing after you have the usb drive setup and connected you will have to enter the boot menu and select the usb drive to boot from or you can also enter the bios and in the ide boot order menu you can change the usb drive to boot before the normal hdd then save and reboot and it will boot from the usb drive then and you can update from then. The bat file I created was just a text file saved as flash.bat with the following line to actually do the flashing "awdflash xxx.bin /cc/cd/cp/py/R" with xxx.bin being the bios bin file.

I did not want to leave any live links since some boards do not allow that better to keep the admins and mods happy.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor Over Clocked 3.1GHz
    Mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with EPP Profile Dual Channel
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB
    LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW

Thread Information