Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: 137 GB hard disk limitation with SB83-G2 ?

Default 137 GB hard disk limitation with SB83-G2 ?

Hi, I am helping a friend upgrade his Shuttle. He has a SB61G2. When we put it together a few years ago, I discovered the IDE and SATA controllers were limited to 137 GB hard drives. Anything bigger was simply formatted as 137 GB and the space was wasted. I have found a different model which appears to support the same CPU and memory, allowing me to swap them over. He just wants to get past the 137 GB limit. The model is SB83-G2. It uses the Intel 915 chipset. Unfortunately, Shuttle doesn't have a manual for this on their website. Does anyone know if this model has the same 137 GB limit? Thanks, PeterM

Default Re: 137 GB hard disk limitation with SB83-G2 ?

You need to install the latest service pack for WinXP to open up the full size of your drive. If you are using an older operating system, I'm not sure that the size limitation can be overcome.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Can you give a full detail of the parts you are using
    and also the OS with its version, thanks.
    Eric
    SHUTTLE Technical Support

Eric, The Shuttle system is an SB61G2 with an FB61 motherboard. It has 1 GB of RAM nand is running Windows 2000 with service pack 4. I just ran Windows update on it 10 minutes ago and it has every possible update that MS has to offer. I just installed a brand new 750 GB SATA hardrive and then went to format it. The Disk Management within the Administrative tools tells me it sees a 128 GB hard drive. I am using Win2K on my personal desktop and have formatted 250 GB drives without problem. This leads me to believe that the Shuttle hardware is limiting my ability to format and use a large drive on the machine. Can you clarify what is going on? I was planning on upgrading his system to XP, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen now without some more changes. Thanks, PeterM

Hardware is generally not the cause of this type of issue. It has to do with how the operating system is addressing the disk storage area.

What file system are you using to format the hard drive? If FAT32 then you have likely come across your problem. If NTFS, then there should be some sort of service pack or even aftermarket hack that will open up the full hard drive to you.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Last night I did some googleing and came up with this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098 . Copied from that article: "Important Although support for 48-bit LBA is included in Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) and later, it is still necessary to create the registry change that is described in the "Resolution" section of this article."
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Use the software that comes with the hard drive or is from the hard drive manufacturer's web site to format and setup the disk in DOS. Also, make sure that you set the drive in BIOS to be recognized as "Large". The option description does vary from bios to bios, but there should be the option and it should be able to be overcome. I have done this on 845P motherboards and as long as it is formatted in DOS with the manufacturer's tools, it should work.

The SB61G2 should accept 137GB+ drives. There must be a bios option you're missing. On these older chipsets, you are probably gonna have to manually enable iot.
    Last edited by casecutter; 11-09-2007 at 10:06 PM.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

the other way of doing it using the manufacturers software to install the drive - they have software to get around all of these limitations (well seagate & WD do anyway)

Thread Information