Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SK22- RAM Timing in BIOS

Default Re: SK22- RAM Timing in BIOS

this new bios does not fix the 8800gt problem does it???
    and anyone knows if the 2x2gb black dragon memorys work well on the sk22g2 --- they are supose to work but i dont no if the 1.9 2.0 volts necessary for this memorys will give me problems in the sk22g2

Quote Originally Posted by secktorx View Post
    ... anyone knows if the 2x2gb black dragon memorys work well on the sk22g2 --- they are supose to work but i dont no if the 1.9 2.0 volts necessary for this memorys will give me problems in the sk22g2
    I'm not familiar with Black Dragon memory. I can provide a bit of info about the RAM for an SK22. As you know, the RAM voltage (Vdimm) is not adjustable in the SK22 BIOS, and it usually seems to be in the 1.85-1.90 Volt range.

These days most RAM will run fine at DDR2-667 with this Voltage. Problems can arise when trying to run RAM at DDR2-800 speeds or greater, especially RAM that is specified to run at 2.0 volts or more. Also, if you are using only one Module instead of two, this helps a lot with RAM compatibility. Two modules activate the dual-channel mode and this increases timing requirements.

I have found that A-Data RAM specified at 1.80 volts works well at DDR2-800 (this includes 2x512MB and 2x1024 MB) in the SK22. I believe these modules contain Elpida chips. I have tried several other brands, but much of the better RAM brands utilize Micron ICs, so great differences are not expected, many didn't work presumably because the Vdimm wasn't high enough. That said, the Ballistix brand which is a manufactured by Crucial, a subsidary of Micron has provided consistently good performance (whether specified as DDR2-667, DDR2-800, or DDR2-1066) they all work fine in dual-channel mode running at least DDR2-800 speeds in my SK22s.

Not knowing the source of ICs in your 2x2MB Black Dragon RAM, I would speculate that there could be a chance that they will not run at DDR2-800. If not, it is likely they will be fine at DDR2-667.

Sorry I cannot provide any info relative to your 8800GT question.

The BIOS update was only to fix the DRAM timings.
    Unfortunately Black Dragon RAM are not on our list of to check RAM vendors, but doesn't meant it will definitely not work.

What kind of problems are you having with 8800gt?
    Eric
    SHUTTLE Technical Support

sorry for not posting the correct name of the memories , they are the geil 2gbx2 pc6400 black dragon... but thanks for the replies ive bought a pair this morning and at the current time they are working well cpuz gives me a cas of 5.5.5.18 at 1.8v all is runing well tested it whith 3d mark and no problems at all vista only recognizes 3gb but its becuse it is the 32bit ultimate .........---ERIC ive bouht a 8800gt oc from bfg as it was single slot and i was looking for a beter graphic for the system so ive started the system and the fan of the 8800gt was cleary at full speed and continued at that and no image was displayed ,, so i returned to the store and they given me a second 8800gt but now from evga , at home tryed again and the same hapend so i returned to the store and they tell me that its becuse something in the pcie being 1.0 or the via chipset thing , so they given me a 3850 thats single sloted to and finaly the barebone started and untill now its working great , but i tink its a litle strange 2 8800gt from diferent manufactors given problems ,,, again thanks dnamechanic and SHUTTLE - Eric **** for the help....

Unfortunately i dont have one with to me confirm and troubleshoot the problme,
    it could be the pcie or the card wasn't getting enough power to boot. But its nice to hear you have everything working nicely now.
    Eric

this one is for you eric ,, guess what did my brother give me for chrismas ,,, the new amd quad core the phenom ,, is there any chance of a bios compatibility for the sk22g2 or i have to upgrade ??? i realy would like to stay whith the sk

hi secktorx,
    Unfortunately the hardware design of all our current AMD barebones will not be able to support the new AMD Phenom CPU, its limited by our hardware so even a BIOS update will not be able to allow the current AMD barebones to support the new AMD Phenom CPUs.
    Eric

thats rely bad news
    i was triying to make it work but it does not
    well refund or new system thanks eric again

Quote Originally Posted by SHUTTLE - Eric
    Unfortunately the hardware design of all our current AMD barebones will not be able to support the new AMD Phenom CPU, its limited by our hardware so even a BIOS update will not be able to allow the current AMD barebones to support the new AMD Phenom CPUs.
    Just saying hardware design does not allow support, is not truly informative.

What is it the limitation in the hardware design?

Of course the power supply comes to mind, but the Phenom is specified to require comparable amounts of power (95 watts) to many of the 90nm CPUs (89 Watts, and even 125 Watts) that are acceptable for the Shuttle XPCs.

It seems as if BIOS chip storage size has been considered to be the main problem with supporting the Phenom CPU. As many of the earlier motherboards had a 4Mbit BIOS (512KB) and it has been thought that the Phenom required at least an 8Mbit BIOS.

A report from Daily Tech indicates that a 4Mbit BIOS (512KB) does indeed work fine in earlier motherboards with the Phenom CPU.

The manufacturers do have the necessary hardware to have a broader Phenom support, they just don't seem worried about it and it could be for an array of factors. Fitting a BIOS with Phenom support in 4Mbit may be close to impossible, very hard, but whatever can be claimed, impossible it is not.
    It would be informative if Shuttle could say whether or not there are other problems blocking their accommodation of the Phenom CPU.
    Last edited by dnamechanic; 01-26-2008 at 04:49 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information