Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SK22- RAM Timing in BIOS

Default SK22- RAM Timing in BIOS

First, thanks to TweakTown for making post such as this possible. Thanks to Mr. Eric from Shuttle for participating here.

System:

SK22G2-v2
    BIOS (from CPU-Z) - 6.00 PG :dated 4-23-07

Have noticed that in BIOS some RAM timing settings are listed, but changes in the BIOS settings have no effect. Have also observed this on two other SK-22 systems.

For Example, Using a particular single Patriot, 1 GB RAM module, DDR2-800, and setting timings in BIOS, as below:

Timing Mode: DDR-800 (other settings available, such as DDR667, or Auto)
    DDR II: (Enable or Disable)
    - Tcl: 4
    - Trcd-cas: 4
    - Trp: 4
    - Tras : 14

After booting into WinXP, CPU-Z reveals:

- CAS: 5
    - RAS-CAS: 5
    - RAS-pre: 5
    - Tras: 13

Changing TimingMode: to Auto, instead of DDR-800 or,
    Changing DDRII from: Enable to Disable

These changes or any of several other changes that I tried, make no difference in CPU-Z indications.

Changing RAM modules to dual DDR2-800 A-Data RAM, 2x512 MB:

This results in CPU-Z timing indications of: 5-5-5-18

Have tried other RAM modules, with similar results.

It appears that the actual RAM timings in the SK-22 are determined only by the SPD values programmed in the RAM modules, and that BIOS RAM timing settings have no effect at all.

Looked through the BIOS uptate/history at the Shuttle website:

There are no indications that newer BIOS revisions would be any different.

Virtually all RAM timings, except CAS can be adjusted through Windows software, using a program such as Central Brain ID. This demonstrates that the RAM timings can be changed, but it appears that the SK-22 BIOS does not make any changes even though the options appear to be provided in the menus.

Question for Mr. Eric: Is there no RAM timing adjustments in the SK-22 BIOS? Any suggestions?

Others please feel free to comment.

Default Re: SK22- RAM Timing in BIOS

hey dnamechanic,
    Can you try updating to the latest BIOS and see if the problem still persists?
    I've asked someone to help double check, will let you know soon.
    Eric
    SHUTTLE Technical Support

Today, I checked another SK-22g with BIOS dated 3/08/2007. This one also demonstrated the RAM timing difficulty decribed previously.

Most DDR2-800 memory has SPD programed values of 5-5-5-x, this is mainly to ensure the system will always pass POST, even if Vdimm is at the JEDEC specification of only 1.80 volts or so. Then, after booting into the BIOS setup, the voltage and timings can be adjusted to the desired values.

So I located a set of Patriot DDR2-800 dual channel modules with actual SPD programmed timings of :

4-4-4-12

Using the SK22g with the BIOS dated 4/23/2007, then regardless of BIOS timing settings, when the SK22g booted into WinXP, CPU-Z showed:

5-5-5-16

This appears to nullify my previous statement that the SK22g sets timing only according to SPD programmed values.

Apparently the SK22g sets DDR2-800 timing at 5-5-5-x regardless of memory SPD values or BIOS settings.

Quote Originally Posted by SHUTTLE - Eric
    ... try updating to the latest BIOS and see if the problem still persists?
    Reading the BIOS history at Shuttle support, I see no documentation that would indicate a fix in the only BIOS update available.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle Downloads Website

SK22S20R
    Date: 07/10/2007 Checksum: 9300
    1. Fixed A2(NB) version CHIP cann't install WinXP & Vista O.S.
    2. Fixed Athlon BE serials CPU string error on P.O.S.T.
    It would be good to have some confirmation from Shuttle that the BIOS update actually has a chance of correcting the difficulty. Seems to me if a BIOS update corrected a problem like RAM timings, it would surely be significant enough to be listed in the BIOS documentation.

I've asked someone to help double check, will let you know soon.
    Thank you.

hey dnamechanic,
    The product was released some time ago and i'm a little surprised
    that no one has brought up this issue before, and thank you for bringing it up.
    I have guys working on this issue now, will post back when there's a solution.
    Eric

hey dnamechanic,
    i have the BIOS update you were looking for, can i get your email address or something.
    cant have the file attached here coz its over the size limit.
    If anyone else wants this let me know and i can send it to you, otherwise you can wait 2 weeks and it will be on the offical website.
    Eric

i have the BIOS update you were looking for, can i get your email address or something.
    Hi Eric,

I tried to see if there was a way to send a private message (PM) to you. Looks like that feature is not enabled in your Profile. So, I tried anyway.

Here is the response to my effort:

Quote Originally Posted by actually not posted, but automated response from TweakTown
    1. SHUTTLE - Eric **** has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.
    <!--/POSTERROR do not remove this comment-->
    Here is what would have been my PM to you:

Quote Originally Posted by actually not posted, but saved copy of attempted PM- dnamechanic

Thanks Eric,

That was very quick!

Did the Shuttle tech guys already know about this?

Actually, I reported this problem very early this year through the Shuttle web tech site. I remember it well, going through a long procedure, filling out every detail (where purchased, serial number, blah, blah, on and on), then finally sending the description of the problem. There was never any sign of a response. Then about a month later I finally contacted someone at Shuttle by email and asked about the same problem. Again, never any acknowledgement that I ever inquired.

Eric, I appreciate your efforts, thank you.

Best regards,
    Mike

Eric, please find my email address now showing in my TweakTown profile in the Biography entry, listed under Additional Information.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    dnamechanic

Your welcome
    Eric

Eric, I received the BIOS update file.

Thanks again.

Reprogrammed BIOS with the update file (sk22s20u.bin).

RAM timing (as indicated by CPU-Z and other utility programs) now responds to BIOS timing selection. Tested DDR2-800 at settings of 4-4-4-12 and other timing permutations. This is better.

Have not checked out complete BIOS setup, but no other BIOS differences noted at this time.

Much appreciated.

The BIOS update was mainly based on fixing the RAM timing, its good to hear its all working well for you.
    Eric

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information