Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: SD36G5M won't boot with D925 installed

Default SD36G5M won't boot with D925 installed

Hello, just got a recertified SD36G5M, and it was a very nice machine . It ran perfectly fine with these components installed:

Celeron D352 (3.2Ghz)
    2GB DDR2 667 ram
    320GB SATA Western Digital HD
    Lite-On 20X DVDRW
    ATI Radeon 2400XT PCIe Video

I purchased an Intel Pentium D 925 processor (listed on the machines' support page) and installed it. Then the nightmare began.

No post. The chipset fan ran, the ICE fan ran (slowly), the cdrom would seek, the HD would spin up, but nothing else, blank screen, ie no video. No VFD display, and no blue power light on the front. The ram green light was on, but it would just stay like that until power off.

Took the cpu and installed in another machine, booted into windows and ran WoW fine. Put the celeron back into the SD36G5M, and it booted fine, no problems.

Put the 925 back into the SD36G5M, nothing. I cleared the CMOS, nothing. I took the battery out for 1 hour, nothing. I bought 2 new sticks of OCZ DDR2 800 ram, nothing. I unplugged and removed the ATI card and used onboard video, nothing. I tried 2 different power supplies, one from an ATX case and one from another Shuttle machine, nothing. I removed all parts except, cpu, ram, nothing. I tried one stick of all 4 sticks of ram in each ram slot individually, nothing. I put the celeron back in, back flashed it to 13 version bios, nothing. Reflashed it back to the 17 version bios, nothing. I manually set the cpu speed, voltage and ram voltage (though I dont know if that mattered), shut down, installed the D925, nothing.

Long and short, the Celeron runs like a champ, the D925 stares back blankly at me, thought the CPU and ram modules will heat up if left on for 5 or more minutes, even though the blue power light and VFD do not come on.

Is this a faulty capacitor on the motherboard to allow dual core operation? I have only a few days left to RMA this machine if no one has any clue whats going on. I has me stumped, and I am hopeing that it's something I'm overlooking.

Default Re: SD36G5M won't boot with D925 installed

"Long and short, the Celeron runs like a champ, the D925 stares back blankly at me, *thought* the CPU and ram modules will heat up if left on for 5 or more minutes, even though the blue power light and VFD do not come on.

thought=though
    sorry

i assume you are talking about SG33G5M, the barebone.
    can you check the version of your BIOS
    Eric
    SHUTTLE Technical Support

No, it is the SD36G5M. Is this is the wrong forum for that machine?

Bios is now at SD36S017

ahh, my bad. have you tried clearing BIOS after you put in the D925?
    Eric

Yes, by both the reset button on the back and removing the battery from the machine for an hour.

let me check see what i can come up with and get back to you.
    i dont see it being a ram/power or capacitor problem.
    Eric

we dont have a 925 cpu on our hands to check, but we verified with a 935 which is also a D0 stepping and it works fine. so you might want to have your SD36G5M checked, see whats wrong with it.
    Eric

Was sent back to Shuttle, they are replacing the motherboard. Hopefully that will fix it.

Thanks for the responses.

Thread Information