Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: SG33G5 Freezing in XP , Vista

Default SG33G5 Freezing in XP , Vista

Hi,

I have encountered this problem for the past 3 months:
    I initially had winXP installed, and computer froze randomly, but mostly when I use P2P. I then upgraded to vista 32 bit. This occured more often, sometimes immediately after start up, sometimes 30 minutes after boot, or even 3 hours after boot. It has also froze within the BIOS menu itself as well. I have tried upgrading to the latest BIOS -version 112 but to no avail.

I have taken out my PCI-E graphics card, and run using the onboard VGA card, and the freezing happens as well. I have tried to run vista on only 1GB (I have 2 x 1GB) and the freezing still happens. I cannot tell whether it could be a power supply or RAM problem or anything else.

I have also used Speedfan to check the CPU voltage, and that all the +3, +5 and +12V seems normal. But the -5 and -12V reading appears abnormal at -3V and -13.3V. I am not sure whether this is a hint.

My system is as follow:
    SG33G5
    intel core 2 duo E6750@ 2.66Ghz
    Corsair VS2GBKIT667D2 2GB Ram (2 x 1GB)
    Seagate 250GB SATA
    Winfast PX8600 GTS extreme 256MB
    Power supply is default supply.
    BIOS version 112, no overclocking.

I would appreciate any help so much. Thanks.
    Last edited by no1knowsthis; 01-11-2008 at 09:27 PM.

Default Re: SG33G5 Freezing in XP , Vista

You might try increasing the ram voltage in the bios to the max listed for your ram the SG33G5 seems to be pretty picky about ram voltages a lot of booting problems and such are related to not enough voltage for the ram to be stable. I could not hurt to try that but its just a guess.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor Over Clocked 3.1GHz
    Mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with EPP Profile Dual Channel
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB
    LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW

Hi,

I've tried increasing my RAM voltage to 2.2V which is the maximum it can take. The freezing still occurs nonetheless.
    I am still out of ideas, so any settings in the BIOS which could further help my cause would be very much appreciated.

Hi,

I tried to flash my BIOS using winflash, but unfortunately, the system froze (BSOD) in the process and I am now unable to startup my system completely. Would it be possible to clear the CMOS or remove any jumper sort of solution, or would I need to send them to the vendors?

If so, would you be able to supply me with the list of vendors in central London, UK?

Thanks.

Another winflash brick you can try reseting the bios using a paper clip in the small access hole on the back but I doubt that will help. You will most likely have 2 options 1 send the bios chip back to Shuttle to have it flashed for a fee or buy another bios chip and have that one pre flashed with the bios. There are a few vendors that sell bios chips with the bios flashed available online if you do a google search. I always recommend flashing bios from dos using either a dos boot cd or a usb flash drive as a dos boot disk that way windows can not bite you in the backside and create a brick.

Sorry for your bad luck and I hope you are able to get it fixed soon.

P.S. You might open the case and get the bios chip number and call around to your local computer shops and see if any of them are able to reflash that chip outside of the computer with a eprom flasher.
    Last edited by Shadowtester; 01-17-2008 at 01:59 AM.
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor Over Clocked 3.1GHz
    Mushkin Extreme Performance 2GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with EPP Profile Dual Channel
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB
    LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW

Hi,

I've fixed my BIOS chip with the bios 112 software again. I have recently changed my power supply to a external 500W one, and changed my RAM to another brand of 2x1GB as well. But my Windows still locks up quite often. Other than the lock ups, the only BSOD that appears is the Cx00000124: something along the line of "physical dump of memory" and "hardware error" or something like that.

Also, I noticed that the temperature of my CPU is in the range of the high 55C, as compared to just about 40+ C before I flashed it with the 112 bios. It seems the fan does not run at higher speed at high temperatures even though smart fan mode is selected. (at 60C, the fan still runs at low speed of about 800rpm)

Any help regarding the freezing/lock ups would be massively thanked for.

Thread Information