Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: promise ultra100tx2

i just got my hands on one of these, the motherboard hadda ata66 so i decided to change the bootdrive onto the promise card, its a 80 gig IV seagate, cept now it doesnt boot. the card detects the hd at ata5, but after posting, it just hangs. flashed the card, no good. do i have to reformat?

The OS is trying to load a set of drivers for the controller that are incorrect. The TX2 drivers must not be native to the OS that u are using. Assuming win XP or 2K, when the OS is initially installed, before any of the drives are loaded to install the OS even, the drivers for the Controller card are installed, otherwise the OS can not see the drives attached to the Controller. Such is the same for all RAID and SCSI controllers.

If u are running winXP, u can do a system repair and install the drivers for the controller card via that route.

U can also try loading the drivers for the controller card while the OS is connected to the main IDE channel. Plug the card into the PCI slot without the drives attached to it and start your computer. IT should prompt u for the drivers to be installed. This should be the case with any PNP OS. After that, u should be able to connect the HDDs to the Controller. U may also need to specify in the mainboard bios that u want to use a controller as a primary boot.

i installed the windows2003 driver for it. and i installed it before i switched it onto the ata controller card, still no go. :( drivers seem to be good though since they were 2k3 compatible. should i remove the primary channel of the motherboard ide controller?

THe OS should be able to distinguish between the controller and the primary IDE. However, it would not be a bad idea to do so. A few more details of your system would also help. What Mobo, and what Drives are u using?

its some oem compaq one, should suffice though, and the hd is a seagate iv 80gig 7200rpm ata100 hd. it still hangs after showing the promise card intialization, it detects the hd and sets it to d0 @ ata5

Can u get into safe mode at all?

nope it hangs before the windows boot screen

I'm not quite sure what the resolution for this issue is, but I will try it on an XP box tommorow to see if I can come up with a solution for u. I don't have a copy of 2003 so I can try it with that OS. Hope u can wait a bit. The other solution would be to just re-install your OS, though I'd assume that isnt something you'd wanna do.

xp and 2k3 are pretty similar. in the end, i just might hafta format if we dont find another way. itll be a lot of backing up to do tho o.O

no luck?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information