Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: new hdd installation

ive just got a 80gb wd 8mb hard drive, along with a 40gb 2mb hdd. the 40gb has 2 partitions, a PRIMARY (C - XP, programs), STORAGE (D - games, music etc), both are NTFS.

i want to split my 80gb into 3 partitions (C D E) and have the 40gb re-partitioned to just a 40gb drive (F, for mp3s). i figure that the 80gb will be master, and the 40gb will be slave (the 40gb doesnt like being master for some reason)

so if i put the 80gb on master, fdisk it into 3 partitons, format each one, then install XP on the new C drive...then i put the 40gb back in, wont there be a drive letter conflict? if i get past that and copy files onto the 80, then fdisk the 40gb? there is so much stuff on the 40gb i cant move the files around, plus i cant lose em too much importance! ... thanks fellas
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

U dont need to fdisk it if u are installing XP, as XP has all the partition utilities that u will need build into it.

If u put the second drive in afterwards there will be no drive letter conflict as it is the OS that dictates teh drive letters, not the drive.

As an example, the drive letters on your current 40gb drive are associted with certain installation paths for programs and shortcuts. Since u will no longer be able to run those programs on the new drive, the associations are no longer required. All the files can be moved and transferred as u see fit.

It should be no problem to do what u want to do. To create the new drive volumes after having created the C: on your 80gb, u can use the Disk Management software built into XP to create and format the partitions of your drive. U can do the same to your 40gb once u decide to erase it.

its all running pretty well...thanks for that :cheers:
    MSN Messenger - handy481@hotmail.com
    DC++ - handy481 :: Sweden Xperience :: BootCamp 02 :: Revolution xShare 01 :: Mp3Heaven

Thread Information