Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Is raid worth it for a gaming system?

I currently have a western digital 120GB and I can get another one really cheap. Is it worth it set up a raid? All I really care about are load times.

Nope. For a million reasons that I won't go into, I'll just tell you what you want to know.

Raid is only substantially faster for WRITING data, and load times are simply how fast the drive can read.

You might see a slight speed improvement if you got a second drive and installed the game on it, so that as the game loads, it gets the game from a game only drive, and various drivers and interface files from your OS drive.

But remember, any good deal on a drive today, will get smoked by a good deal on a drive twice as big in six months.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

No reason to go raid PERIOD.
    Box:
    [Mobo] Asus A7N8X w/ Modified 1003 Uber BIOS w/ Custom Boot logo
    [CPU] Athlon XP 2200+ Thoroughbred
    [Memory] 512 Samsung PC3200 DDR400 w/ Copper Heatsink(s)
    [Video Card] Geforce 3 ti200 128 DDR Special Gold Edition

Cooling
    [Case] All aluminum Skyhawk case w/ custom cut blowhole
    [HSF] Volcano 11 Xaser Edition
    [Northbridge] ThermalTake Crystal Orb
    [Southbridge] Aluminum Northbridge heatsink attatched

Operating System:
    [OS] Windows XP Pro w/ SP1

Are you sick of poor quality 128k mp3's that sound inferior to regular CD's you buy in the store? Do you long for the exact sound of a CD with absolutly no quality loss, and at practically half the size of a normal CD? CD's get scratched all the time, and FLAC is great for archiving all those good copies of your classic rock, and backing them up to save forever. FLAC unlike mp3, or ogg vorbis is what is called a lossless format. This means that no quality whatsoever is lost from the origianl disk. Lossy formats such as ogg vorbis, wmv, and moreover mp3 are usually flat sounding, and full of hissing and dullness because they discard and literally throw out important information that controls how good the CD will sound. Using FLAC will ensure the crystal-clear clarity that you can expect from a freshly opened CD. Instead of flimsy CD cases that snap and CD's that scratch easily, and are inevitably summoned to a poor scratched up death; FLAC files can be stored in a tough metal box known as your Hard Disk. FLAC putting life back into digital audio. If you own legit copies of CD's and seek for them pre-FLAC'd for all your digital listening needs please shoot me a PM for more information.

thanks for the replies. I guess I won't be stting up that raid.

Quote Originally Posted by hydro123456
    I currently have a western digital 120GB and I can get another one really cheap. Is it worth it set up a raid? All I really care about are load times.
    Not to start a flame war here but......

Personally I think you will LUV a RAID0 setup specially for gaming !!!
    Games WILL load alot faster and run smoooother with a RAIDO setup .
    Ive been using RAID0 for the past 4 years and have never looked back to using a single drive (and never will).

I have yet to have loose a RAID0 array .

If you have the $$$ to do so , GO FOR IT ; speacially if your planning on using 8mb cache drives .

I think you'll be very happy with a RAID setup .

My .02

stereo55
    * i7 920 D0 @ 3.8 - Evga x58 Tri-SLi
    * 2x Samsung 410 slim 250's = RAID0 - Samsung F3 1TB - 18gig Mushkin 1333 - Evga 560 x2-SLi - Corsair 1000HX/CM Cosmos 1010 - Windows 7 Ultimate

* XFi Titanium - Klipsch 4.1's/Altec center channel - Soyo 24" - 42" Samsung B450 Plasma
    * "Random segments of code and ghosts in my machine"
    Heatware

What kinds of benefits do you think you have with a RAID setup as far as gaming is concerned?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

personally, I've been *very* happy with my RAID Stripe... it does speed up load times, and especially on games that are load-intensive (Half-Life, Postal2, etc), I've noticed quite a time difference from having them loaded on my RAID'd vs my non-RAID'd drives, and I do a bit of video editing/conversion which is significantly speeed up... I also run an FTP, so for simpilicity's sake, I like having a single large 160gig volume...

but again, there's the one-dies-lose-both problem... but with the reliability of today's hdd's, that *shouldn't* be too likely... but I keep backups of the important stuff, nonetheless
    386 DX40, 4mb 80ns EDO RAM, .5mb Trident VGA, 120mb 2200rpm JTS HDD, SoundBlaster ISA, Zoltrix 2400bps modem, 2x Creative CDROM (tray loading), Panasonic 3.5" FDD/5.25" FDD, Samsung 14" UVGA Monitor
    -----

/Z

it does speed up load times
    When compared with what?

------

You are right about video editing, a RAID setup is much quicker at Writing data.

I have a 2000JB, and I like having one 200 GB partition. But I also like having it as one drive, which makes it very easy to move around from computer to computer.

Thread Information