Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Is there a real need for the Raptor HDD?




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Depending on what applications you mostly use, is the Western Digital SATA 10K Raptor worth buying?

    If I mostly use my PC for 3D Animation, Photoshop, Games and a bit of editing. Will I see a big difference between the Raptor and say a DiamondMax Plus 9 in reguards to processes like these? (The Raptor does look great though!)

    Also: Ive seen all the reviews on the SATA DiamondMax Plus 9, and everything points to it as the best 7200rpm SATA drive out there! Does anybody know of any flaws or problems with it though? Thanx. :shrug:

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Posts
    494

    Default

    yes the raptor would be faster used as a scratch disk, etc, and for moving files, rendering to hd. the raptor is the fastest/faster thing you'll get to a scsi harddrive. it won't make that big of a difference. 3d/photoshop/games depend a lot on cpu/video card. hd probably helps it more though.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    you'll see the biggest performance boost when the new PCI bus is released...then you'll have the bandwidth and speed to see SATA and 10k rpms really shine
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minibubba
    you'll see the biggest performance boost when the new PCI bus is released...then you'll have the bandwidth and speed to see SATA and 10k rpms really shine
    When will that show up..?

    So maybe it's folish to buy a new ata100 drive then, even though they are dirt cheap nowadays..

    For example, 80gb western 8mb cache like $70.. lol
    The raptor is about $140-150 and offers just half the size, it would be sweet to run one as boot disc though.. :D


  5. #5
    Beefy Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hona
    Depending on what applications you mostly use, is the Western Digital SATA 10K Raptor worth buying?

    If I mostly use my PC for 3D Animation, Photoshop, Games and a bit of editing. Will I see a big difference between the Raptor and say a DiamondMax Plus 9 in reguards to processes like these? (The Raptor does look great though!)

    Also: Ive seen all the reviews on the SATA DiamondMax Plus 9, and everything points to it as the best 7200rpm SATA drive out there! Does anybody know of any flaws or problems with it though? Thanx. :shrug:
    The 10K WD drive is basically for the people who want very fast read/write access, at the loss of some storage space. Sure, it might make things run that little bit faster, but I don't know if it's worth it in the long run.

    I also checked out the SATA DiamondMax Plus 9 reviews, which made me buy 2 x 120GB drives. Will be installing them tonight, and I can't wait. I plan on doing a bit of video editing with my new system, so these drives give me both speed and space, which is what I need. As far as I know there shouldn't be any problems with them at all. And I'm always for something that outperforms the WD SE drives. ;)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,141

    Default

    Originally posted by Beefy
    I plan on doing a bit of video editing with my new system
    Are you building a whole new system or just the drives? Specs..:?:


  7. #7
    Beefy Guest

    Default

    2700+ XP (will overclock to around 200FSB when I get it set up)
    Soltek 75-FRN2-RL MB
    2 x 512MB matched Corsair 400Mhz DDR-RAM
    2 x 120GB Maxtor SATA HDD
    Audigy 2 Platinum
    4x2 Pioneer DVD-RW
    52x24x52 LiteOn CD-RW
    Radeon 9700 Pro All-in-Wonder
    420W PSU
    Thermaltake Xaser II 6000+ case

    Still using the same old screen / KB / mouse, etc... til I get something better.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    4,246

    Default

    wow, that will be quite the setup once you get it up and running
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

  9. #9
    Beefy Guest

    Default

    Hope so...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    3,141

    Default

    May I ask what ya do for a livin'..:?: Not that it's any of me buissness.. :rolleyes:

    That's one helluva system..:eek: Soltek mobos are sweet.. :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •