Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Round IDE

Well after looking around I couldnt really find and answer that I was looking for. I know I have seen it here someplace tho...

Is there any improvement with the Round cables over the flat ribbon cables? Other than looks and airflow? Also is there a brand that is faster or better than anyother? I see some for sale for a few dollars then I see others that are over $10. How does one know which is better...????:confused:

you're not going to get a performance boost from your HDD if that is what you mean, many rounded cables are sheilded, so that can increase data integrity, but there isn't a performance boost from the cables...assuming you are currently using 80pin cables with ata100/133 HDDs

increased airflow is important btw

quality if the cables, materials, lenghts, and features are goning to determine the price
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I was more concerned with the Cable itself...as far as what brands wouldnt fall apart or such. I know you dont get an improvement in speed or anything like that. I curently use the 80 wire ribbon but I just dont want to get a cheap cable that is going to come to pieces or anything

The kind with pull tabs are helpful so you're not pulling on the wires to remove them. Don't have any that are "Branded" tho so youkind of have to take your best shot. I do prefer those that have the copper or steel shielding over the ones that just have colored plastic covers. Their durability is much superior.

If you're just concerned with airflow, I have seen where the ribbon cables can be split at regular spacing, then the strips bound with wire ties. This is an inexpensive method of achieving "round" cables. Of course they must be extra long to start with. ;)
    :-(

thats kind of what I was afraid of...no brand name stuff. I have my Ribbon cables cut and wrapped with elec tape and I was just kind of sick of looking at it. I was just thinking about cleaning up the case a bit. I guess I will try out a few different sets of them when i get the money to buy them. Try out different brands and see what I like.

Tape is available in a variety of colors.......
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Try and stay away from cables longer than 18" as the standard was set at 18" for a reason.

Cheez - here's what you want to know.

Most cheap rounded cables use some sort of material best described as 'rubber hose' to contain the wires. You DO NOT want this kind. They are horribly inflexible, and very bulky. However, there is another type that many PSu companies use on their main Mobo connector. You know the mesh cloth like stuff? You can get rounded cables with the mesh plastic cloth, and this type is by far the best rounded cable. It may be expensive, but it really blows the competition out of the water.

Rubber Hose sucks!
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

LoL Yes I have the pretty colors of tape!...just not in the case!, If I got cables longer than about 12 inches They would have to stick out ot the case somewhere! No rubber hose eh? K I will look around and see what I can find, Thanks for the Tips guys!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information