Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: What ATA configuration to get?

I'm probably going to be upgrading my computer in the next couple of months (September-October), and plan on getting a NForce2-based mobo that has both SATA and RAID. Which do you recommend? Which would be faster?

2 X WD special Edition (7200 rpm, 8 MB cache) in RAID 0 config
    or
    SATA

?

Please, discuss... :group:
    Owner of the computer "Alatar the Blue"

Athlon XP FX-53
    MSI NeoPlatinum2
    2 GB Kingston PC 3200 CL2 RAM
    ATI x800 XT
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS
    21" Viewsonic Flat CRT
    Logitech Z-680 speakers
    2 x WD Raptor II
    120 GB Western Digital SE SATA HD
    Windows XP Home SP2

Beefy Guest

I recently got a Soltek nForce2 MB, got two 120GB Maxtor SATA drives, put them in RAID 0 and haven't looked back since. I'm quite impressed with the performance of it.

However, that being said, I'm a fool. If you are on a budget, then the WD drives will be fine. If you want that little bit extra, then go for SATA.

There's a couple reasons I went SATA, the main one being I have three IDE drives in my PC, not including HDDs, and I wanted large amounts of fast storage, so SATA was a nice fallback option.

Another reason to go SATA would be that, when you consider it will be the standard when the next versions come out, you wouldnt want to be stuck with a IDE drive next time you buy a new mobo, assuming that will be in a while. Im shopping for a new HD as well, and I think I have decided to go SATA simply because I will be wanting to keep it for quite some time to come.

I've been using WD SATA Raptors in some of the CAD boxes at work lately - & I'm very impressed with them, I'd take a single Raptor over an IDE RAID array anytime
    ...of course Raptors aren't exactly cheap either & they only come in 36GB size

Quote Originally Posted by RDR
    I've been using WD SATA Raptors in some of the CAD boxes at work lately - & I'm very impressed with them, I'd take a single Raptor over an IDE RAID array anytime
    ...of course Raptors aren't exactly cheap either & they only come in 36GB size
    I believe that WD should have larger drive sizes out come the time when Gammit wants ro buy his equipment.

Gammit, how much are u looking to spend. That will be the major determining factor on what harddrives u get, and also what u do with them. If u are looking for security, and don't need huge storage, then I'd get a couple of the WD raptors in raid 0. If u need storage, then depending on how much $$$ u have to spend, u may want to get a couple 160 gig WD SE drives in raid 0.

THe advantages of the raptor drives is that they are very quick, and also have a 5 year warranty, as opposed to the 3 year of the WD SE, whihc imho is still a good warranty preriod for a drive.

Thanks all. I found a board with RAID 0 for SATA. Looks like I'll be looking at those Raptors, as I'm definitely in this for the speed. What are the specs on those, offhand?

Athlon XP FX-53
    MSI NeoPlatinum2
    ATI x800 XT
    21" Viewsonic Flat CRT
    Logitech Z-680 speakers
    2 x WD Raptor II
    Windows XP Home SP2

Thanks, V. Hopefully they'll have larger hds when I upgrade. Looking to put some of those 10,000 rpm babies in a raid 0 config. Sa-weet. :smokin:

Athlon XP FX-53
    MSI NeoPlatinum2
    ATI x800 XT
    21" Viewsonic Flat CRT
    Logitech Z-680 speakers
    2 x WD Raptor II
    Windows XP Home SP2

Thread Information