Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: RAID 0 with 160 GB Drives

this is my first attempt at RAID, so I could use some help

first of all, how to I go about setting it up? I've got an older (about 1 yr old) raid card that I'm going to be using in a PIII system with two WD 160 GB SE drives

second of all, how do I get around the 137.4 GB barrier? the two drives both came with new ata100 controler cards with drivers to get around this, but I'm not planning on using them since I'm going for a raid setup

can I use my main system (see sig - the newer board and bios should be able to see the full 160 gigs) to partion the drives (2 80 gig partions each) and then insert them into the older pIII system with the raid controller card? and how do I partion/format drives for raid 0?

I hate sounding like a noob, but I've never had an oportunity to setup raid before

pIII system specs:
    Pentium III socket 370 933 Mhz @ 1001 Mhz (BIOS 1009)
    ASUS CUSL2-C
    512 Crucial PC133 (max the mobo will allow)
    Volcano 6+ Cu
    PNY GeForce4 MX 440
    Maxtor 40 GB 7200
    Maxotr 20 GB 5200
    Adaptec SCSI controller Card
    Siig Ultra ATA 100 controler card
    D-Link NIC
    Belin USB2.0 4-port
    Siig 1394 3-port
    Plextor 12/10/32 CD-RW
    Toshiba DVD-ROM
    Iomega Zip100
    Antec 300W PSU
    Generic Floppy
    WinXP SP1

i know that is more info than you need on the hardware, but I figured I'd be complete

more than likely both of the WD HDD's will get moved to a Mac within 6 months, but for know it's going into this old pIII

*in doing a more carefull analysis of the hardware I realised that the ata controller card is not RAID...so I'll either have to purchase a new RAID card or get a pair of SATA converters and put these fine HDD's in my own system until the Mac is purchased
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Need to know what controller card u have. The majority of the controllers can break the 137 gb barrier via a firmware update. Once the controller is properly setup, your os will see only one 160 gig drive instead of 2. U will also need to driver disk for the install as win2k and xp more than likely won't have the adaptec drivers u require built in. If they do, then all the better.

When laoding the OS, u will see a quick "press F6 to load additional" drivers at the beginning as the OS first loads its drivers. If u miss this, then once u try to actaully partition the drives and press F8 to accept licencing agreement, no drives will be seen by the OS.

The rest of teh hardware does not concern the controller card as that is the single piece of hardware that iwll be succeptable to the 137gb issue as u are not using the onboard IDE controller, but a seperate entitity all together.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieVen
    Need to know what controller card u have.
    The rest of teh hardware does not concern the controller card as that is the single piece of hardware that iwll be succeptable to the 137gb issue as u are not using the onboard IDE controller, but a seperate entitity all together.
    if you'll read the end of my post you'll see that it turns out the card is not RAID after all, so I'm going to have to buy a new one

as for the hardware, I compiled that whole list for my own reasons...mainly because it is not my computer and i couldn't remember all that was in it. I know what hardware does and does not concern raid :)

also, due to some concerns of the main user of the pIII system, is it possible to ghost an image from the current HDD's and put it on the RAID HDD once it is set up...I would rather just put all the important data on CD and just copy it over when done, but he is worried about loosing something :rolleyes:

what about partioning and formating the drives ahead of time? it will be next week before I can get a RAID card, so I'd like to get a head start and go ahead and format them if possible. Is there anything special I need to do or can i use typical primary partitions and format with ntfs?

You're gonna have a tough time trying to make an os that was installed withouth the raid card see the raid card once u have ghosted the drive.

What os is it? u can try to do a repair job onthe installation if it is 2k/xp. U will save all the info and u can install the controller at that time. Starting with a fresh OS is the best idea, but u can probably work around it. If he is really concerned about losing info, what I would do is to ghost his os onto the 160gb drive, install the controller card, repair the install of the os so it see's the controller card, add the second hdd and mirror it through the controller card. It iwll be time consuming to do it this way as it takes a while to build a mirror with data already on the drives. If u build the mirror with blank drives, it is created instantly.

windows XP, it's in my origianl post ;)

I always prefer to do a fresh instal when ever I change anything major...but he is being extremely paranoid about loosing anything :shrug:

I'm going to try to convence him to just trust me and let me do a clean install, but I'm not getting my hopes up

he he.. apparently I'm not reading everything.

U should be able to just leave the older drives in when u install the fresh os on the mirrored 160 gigs, that shouldnt be a problem at all. It wouldnt have anything to do with the older drives... no worries at all.

Is there any software that he is worried about losigng?

This is a very interesting thread. I can't wait to see what happens to the data that the guy doesn't want to get lost when the drives get removed and installed into the macs. :confused:

Anyway, I recommend that you read all of the info on the following Thread: Best Sites About RAID. If you know of any other informative sites about RAID feel free to add them to the thread. :thumb:
    :-(

Quote Originally Posted by elrado1
    This is a very interesting thread. I can't wait to see what happens to the data that the guy doesn't want to get lost when the drives get removed and installed into the macs. :confused:
    it going to get put back on the current HDDs when (if ever) he gets a Mac..6 months was just a guess, I really have no idea when he is going to get it

he's a pro. photographer and obviously does a lot a photo editing and has a rather large and expensive film sanner that produces some very huge files. So until he gets his Mac, I'm setting up these 2 HDD in a RAID array to try to speed up the process....I know new mobo/cpu/ram would help even more, but that's what the Mac will eventually be for

[b]Is there any software that he is worried about losigng?
    I think it's more or less his outlook that he is worried about...after the last format he lost a all of his subfolders (don't know which subfolders though) even though we backed everything up :confused:

thanks for the links elrado1 :thumb:

I would rather just put all the important data on CD and just copy it over when done, but he is worried about loosing something
    If he is weary of CD's reliablility, then he should be VERY weary of a RAID 0 array!!. Why not just get two 200 GB drives and then do a Raid 1?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

it's not the reliablility of the CD's he is worried about ...it's more like he'll forget to save something important to CD...and then he'll format and 'oops' it's gone

but since his current HDD's are just going to be set aside until the Mac arrives, I'm not going to format them, so if we forget something, I can just plug the odd HDD's back in and get it

and I wont do raid 1 because the whole point is the speed since he is working with very large image files
    :cheers:

Thread Information