Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: About setting up Raid from scratch

I was just wondering if i could get some instructions on putting together a raid set up with a brand new pc. the parts arent even together yet and i have two WD harddrives and a highpoint raid controller. what do i need to do first? all of my computer is put together except for the harddrives. Could i get some Help here, id really appreciate it.

:snip:

Plug the cotroller into a PCI slot, plug the drives into the controller. Assuming u want to boot from it, specify in the bios u want to bott from SCSI/RAID device.

Exit bios and u will notice that u have a new screen that shows up, the bios for the raid controller. It should prompt u and tell u that there is no array defined. Go into controller and define array.

What model # do u have?

I have a highpoint 404 controller rocket raid
    :shoot3: :shoot2:

so i dont need to install windows on one of those drives before i plugg them into the controller.

no, u need to install windows after u plug them into the controller as windows needs to know thast u are booting off the raid, not just a regular IDE. U need drivers to load the controller into the OS before iot actually starts copying the system files over. When u first start to load either 2k/xp/2k3, u need to hit f6 at the first screen u see, if u do not, windows will not see the drives and wil not be able to boot from it or partition it.

Im pretty new to this but what exactly is dual channel and how does it work? My computer seems to hang up whenever i play games it'll just drop to the desktop or say it had an error. But when i take out the memory i have and only put one in the non dual channel slot it stops having errors.

I bought a pair of pc2700 pny 512 dimms.

Help would be appreciated

It would seem u have some bad ram. u a program like memtest 86 to test your ram. make sure u have both sticks in.

http://www.memtest86.com/

You shouldnt get software errors with dual channel memory. If you just bough them and one is bad you can rma htem to the vendor.

Ill try that. Can i also get some info on dual channel or maybe a link to a good site with info? Thanks

Thread Information