Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Western Digital hard drive clicking, bad?

Hard Drive:
    Western Digital 7500RPM 60GB, purchased last summer, new from NewEgg

Problem: Pretty much since a few months after i got it, i remember it making clicking noises......not all the time, but once and a while. It stoped for a few months, then i stopped using the computer at all for about 2 months. I just started using the computer again a few days ago and it was fine...no clicking....but this morning i wake up all excited because i have a new monitor and stuff and its clicking up a storm!
    It usually clicks a few times if i am searching the hard drive or installing somethin. I have read that clicking is bad, and that usually it means the hard drives gonna die soon, but i dont know about mine. I didnt know it was bad before, it was my first system and i figured that i just had something set wrong because after reinstalling windows it stopped.....but now its back. What should i do? is it in fact bad?
    Will Western Digital replace it even though its been about a year?
    Thanks for any responces...

Loud clickin' usually means a dyin' drive but go to WD's website and d/l their diagnostic software, run it and then contact them as the drive may have a 3yr warranty.

that's too bad since WD usually make reliable drives

but do as Wiggo suggests, a clicking HDD is not a good sign. If I were you, I'd start backing up your data ASAP
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

okay i will download that software when i get back from dinner....but as for backing the stuff up, i have nothing worth backing up on the computer so far :-):p thanks for telling me about the software though: peace2:

The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

so i just download the data lifeguard tools thing?

that would be fine - so long as you have a floppy drive
    the diagnostic tools are part of the Data Lifeguard Tools
    They are designed to run from a floppy disk

there is also a WIN DLG meant to be run under Windows
    I have never tried that
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

last night it started with the 'dumping of physical memory' or whatever and wouldnt reboot...this morning it took half an hour for windows to load, then it froze.....looks like i need to format it and send it back :-/

well.. from my experience with WD.. i've had 2 HD failures in a 6 month period.. talk about bad luck. thank god for warranty.

Get the lifeguard tools onto a floppy and make sure that the BIOS is set to boot from a floppy and test the hard drive that way as Windows will not get in the way as it won't be loaded. Over the last few years I've only had 1 WD drive die and that was due to a case that wouldn't flow air around it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information