Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SATA or ATA100

Quote Originally Posted by Blind-Summit
    And finally, can you install XP directly onto an empty HD?
    Yes.
    BIOS -> Boot from CD -> Follow instructions.

You'll prolly need a disk with the SATA controller drivers on hand, so when you see the press F6 to load RAID/SCSI drivers you can do that. Otherwise, bluescreening is bad. You might want to explain in more detail. Installaing an OS can bring about blue screenies for many different reasons.

Whats MOMO?

Do what Jedi said, and make sure you format it to NTFS (this is in the install when you boot from the CD)

Also, I would recommend putting XP on its own 5gb partition and leave the rest for your other stuff (set up as 2 drives). That way when you need to reformat and reinstall later on in the future, your other stuff will remain untouched since you only have to deal with that 5gb with only windows on it.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Yeah, I intend to do a 8Gb / 72Gb split. How do I format into NTFS? Are the the fdisk and format commands available from the WinXP CD?

I have tried before to install it from the CD on a clean formatted HD, but to no avail. Do I need boot disks?

:mad:

I think that my RAM has to be identical. I will try it tonight with just the 1stick of 512Mb.

I have looked into it and it seems that I need this dual or paired RAM. Looking at Corsair 1024Kb which is gonna cost some bucks.

Cheers for your help guys

Alex

Your gonna need to be able to boot from the CD so enable it in the BIOS. If for some reason you cant, you will need 6 setup disks from the website.

PRO: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

HOME: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

The installer will do all the formatting by it self, just make sure to select full NTFS format, not quick.

Right, tried it with only 1 stick of ram. The error messages are as follows:

TRAP_CAUSE_UNKNOWN (really helpful)

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (equally useful)

I am now led to believe that it is my graphics card for some reason.

This is really pissing me off. Especially as my relationship is in such a fekkin state at the moment as well.

Alex

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information