Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SATA or ATA100

Im going to be buying a new HD in the next few weeks, and im deciding on what to buy. My problem is, if i wanted to go with SATA, I would need either an $80 controller card, or a $45 SATA-IDE kit. Im mainly looking at SATA for the future. My next board will definately have native SATA support so it would be nice to get a SATA drive now, but if its going to cost me a lot extra, it may not be worth it. I was looking to get a WD 120gb, either the new Raptor 7200RPM SATA, or the caviar 8mb Ultra ATA100. Basically what I want to know is, would it really be worth the extra $100 for the SATA drive?

Nother question. I heard only the Seagate SATA drive is actually 100% pure SATA. True or no?

personally I would get get the SATA drive since you are planning on going with SATA in the future anyway. It might cost you a little extra to use the sata in a parallel system now, but I think it would cost more to buy a parallel HDD now and a serial drive later
    :2cents:
    [b]Nother question. I heard only the Seagate SATA drive is actually 100% pure SATA. True or no?
    I haven't heard that, but I haven't been following specific SATA development too closely
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

Raptor SATA, followed quickly by Intel 875 board. Much HDD goodness.

Actually seein' as ya'll need a controller card which will be hooked into the PCI bus I'd give SATA a miss personally and just go with a WD JB series HDD and used the saved money on sometime else.

I was under the impression the new 875 (possiibly even the 865) brought the SATA controller off the PCI bus and onto the south bridge...

Ya correct there but as Dyck15 stated, "I would need either an $80 controller card, or a $45 SATA-IDE kit", then atm he'd be better off with what I suggested.

Yep Im running the GA-7VAXP. If only I woulda got the Ultra, then all my problems would be solved. But anyways, since I can get the JB series for $170, and the SATA Raptor will set me back $240 + the controller card, I think Ill just go with the JB. If I still want to use it when I get a new Athlon64 board, and there is no IDE connection I can just buy a controller card for that, though I dont see that happening by christmas.

depends how often you upgrade dude.

the thing is, although SATA is a better technology and WILL be the way to go, right now there aren't huge advantages over IDE. i reckon for now you might as well just go the ultra ATA 100, because you said "my next board will have native SATA support" and if you're not getting that for a while, the prices on SATA drives will be lower and the speeds will be getting fast.

it just depends if you're willing to invest into what is at the moment a relatively new technology, or wait a bit longer until it gets better support and faster speeds.

i was in this situation a few weeks back. my mobo does have native SATA, but i can't quite justify the cost yet for the minimal performance gain.

personal choice.

1. Newer boards have SATA onboard (mine does).

2. The Raptor is 10,000 RPM (not 7200).

3. It also has legacy 4-Pin Molex connection if you dont have a SATA power connector from your PS (most dont).

Sandra scores my WD 80gb SE at 6000pts.....and my Raptor at 26,000.....so you can see the obvious benefeits there :D.

Edit : DO NOT connect both power plugs! :devil win

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

My current spec:

AMD XP2600
    MSI K7N2 Delta
    Seagate Barracuda 80Gb SATA
    IBM 80Gb IDE
    2 x 512Mb PC2700
    Albatron GF4600

I have just bought the motherboard and SATA drive. I am having major errors installing XP. I can dump 98 on just fine, but when it comes to upgrading to XP from the CD, I get blue screen errors. I have read in circles about this, and I have several options. My main ideas and from what the screen says is that either my ram is funny, or the video adapter is funny.

Just to add that the MOBO is 2 slots for dual DDR and 1 slot of SD RAM. I assumed that my 2 sticks of 512 are the same, both PC2700 unbranded from the same retailer. The board also has nFORCE 2 and I hear that there is some issues with this. So far it has cost a fair amount of money to upgrade, and I would like to fix this blue screen and get my system stable at minimum cost.

A final point is that I want to use the SATA drive on it's own, without having to rely on the IBM IDE drive. So I have to be able to install an OS directly onto it.

And finally, can you install XP directly onto an empty HD? I have to keep putting 98 on, the upgrading to XP?

Many thanks in advance

Alex Holsgrove

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information