Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: O/S can't find 'slave' drive

The second hard drive installed was originally the master, until XP hung on a reinstall after an agp440.sys error, and since then the setup utility on the XP CD never saw the hard drive again. I got an identical replacement from dell (WD 120G) and formatted, installed a fresh copy of XP, then attached the drive with the bad O/S as the second drive. I was hoping to recover some of the 60G of data I had on the drive. BIOS sees them identically, Primary 0 120 GB and Primary 1 120 GB. But when the system boots, the operating system doesn't see it, can't seem to locate it through disk management either. I have the correct jumpers in place, verified that on Western Digital's site....anyone have any suggestions ? thanks

You may have that certain drive ltter disable in Wondows, also try removing all the cdroms/HD's from the Device manager and rebooting

ok...disabled all hardware, when the system boots up, it sees it, but does nothing about it. It shows up in Device Manager and says it's working properly, I disabled/reenabled it and uninstalled/reinstalled it...it sees it and learns it each time but doesn't show up in explorer and doesn't show up in Disk Manager. hmmmm, very strange...if I could only force it a drive letter somewhere...

Wot about Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Managemnt. Then click Disk Management on the left......does it show up there?

nope, doesn't show up in Disk management (I incorrectly called it 'disk manager' in the previous post)...even tried a 'rescan' of the drives with disk management.....getting the feeling that the drive probably had all it's pointers blown away during the failed install .............

Thread Information