Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Magnetic Data Technologies

Has anyone used any of these hard drives? I just acquired two 80.0GB 7200rpm ATA 100 drives model MDMV04-0800, and before I give them to my sons and grandkids, are they any good? Any comments would be great. I don't get to this forum very often, so please email me any opinion (dick4711@mchsi.com). Thanks!
    NT-W2K-XP SCSI HD's

No I havn't heard of them sorry.

"WIGGO"---Is there a software test program that I could run on these two drives to verify (somewhat) there any good? There brand new, but so what. I found a friend last night that built and ran the Maxtor plant in Singapore in the late 80's, early 90's. He remembers Maxtor buying a company called "Magnetic Data Technologies", but has no idea if still owned by Maxtor. The download prep tools from their site are Western Digital prep tools.
    NT-W2K-XP SCSI HD's

I found some info,
    Magnetic Data Technologies
    By KEYT Staff
    Jun 1, 2002, 9:48pm

[b]Forty-five employees were given 60 days to find new jobs. A letter to the mayor of Goleta informing her that their contract with the Western Digital Product line is being eliminated, causing mass layoffs.

The company itself isn't closing, it's moving from Goleta into Irvine, where Western Digital Products are based.
    so it's likely the their products are now based on WD technology which would explain the WD tools but there's also this,
    Solectron acquires Magnetic Data Technologies
    Posted : 17 Jun 2002

[b]EMS provider Solectron Corp. has acquired Magnetic Data Technologies (MDT), a provider of after-sales services for the communications, computer and electronic storage markets.
    The acquisition is part of Solectron's strategy to expand its after-sales service presence in commodity segments such as PCB assemblies, LCDs and hard-disk drives to provide complete systems solutions to customers.

MDT brings to Solectron worldwide logistics and contract repair for disk drives, printers, tape drives, CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD drives, cellular and mobile phones, pagers, digital telephone sets, routers and other network infrastructure equipment, LCD projectors and computer PCBs.
    so the campany's history seems rather murky.

Wiggo: After your last info about the *&@#$#Company, I found more info! These are "repaired(maybe) " Western Digital warranty hard drives sold under the MDT label. Not all MDT HD's are Western Digital, but any brand name that they don't want to refurbish, so are sold/given/traded for Green Stamps to MDT. That's why the warranty site on MDT is "underconstruction"(cough-cough)!!!! I'm sure glad that I got them FREE (ebay switch & bait fraud)! Told the kids to only use for games that they had a CD backup or MP3"s. This way they won't lose much. I then decided that I do like my kids/grandkids, so I bought two REAL Western Digital "WD800JB" 8mb drives just in case these crap out, I can send them the best replacements I can find without them going to SCSI.
    THANKS very much for your time and effort to find out about this COMPANY??? Dick Johnson
    NT-W2K-XP SCSI HD's

Thread Information