Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: using raid and other drives

ok i have a lot of mp3's somewhere around 30Gb's worth on two drives...

I want to setup raid, I just bought two 80GB hard drvies to do this. My MB has raid onboard. I was wondering if i could setup raid on the new drives and then trasnfer my mp3's to the raid drives. Is that possible or will it not work because of the differences in file systems.

is the only way to get my mp3's onto the raid drives is by copying them to cd's and then transfering them to the raid after i set it up?

Let me know I want to set this up soon and am not sure... i really dont want to lose my mp3's.

TIA

ok, what type of raid do u want? 0 or 1?

What is your mobo model #?

What are your current harddrive usage? only the two?

Where did you hear that bull?
    Raided drives will just show up as 1 drive.
    EX Drive X. Than you just copy/move the files/directories you want onto them.
    No need to burn a CD to transfer!!!!!!!!
    Although doing it as backup seems perfectly sane to me (or DVD if ya got the burner)

BTW What kind of FileSystem are you planning on putting there???? EXT3?
    If its just a NTFS, no worries. :thumb:

well currently i have two hard drives of different sizes... i bought two identical drives to run raid 0 on... so in total i have 4 hard drives two i wanna use for raid and the two i had already..

As for the motherboard im not at home so i dont remember the model or make I think its an abit with kt400... i know it has raid 0 and 1 onboard....

uh ext3? well im not up to speed on my computer stuff as i havent been going to school in a while, i really need to catch up... im gonna be running windows xp so i think ntfs...

ok thats cool about the file copying... so ill just partition my raid drives to the way i want em then xfer the files over to the partition i want..

I really didnt feel like burning a lot of cd's.. .no dvd burner yet

Do u intent to use the raid for your os as well or storage only?

If they are for storage only, then all u need to do is connect the drives to raid channels, go into the raid bios and set-up the array and reboot. You should also specify in the system bios that u are using the controller as a raid controller and not an ata controller. Your os should see the new drives, u will then need to format the drive and copy your files over.

If u intend to use the raided drives for your os as well as storage, then u need to specify int he system bios that u want to boot from the raid and not the primary ir secondary IDE. Then go into your raid controller bios and create the raid. When loading the os u will need a driver disk at the very first screen. U need to hit f6 there. If u do not then you're os will not see the drive and u will not be able to continue. The necessary drivers should be located on your mobo cd.

ok cool, i want to use the drives for my os... im just gonna trash the other hd's as they are old and pretty small and slow...

thanx for the help ill set this thing up tomorrow

no problem:hammer:

Well I was trying to figure out what file system you got that you need to burn CDs. EXT3 is Linux filesystem.
    anyway, MrVan nailed the rest.
    :thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by kane2g
    Well I was trying to figure out what file system you got that you need to burn CDs. EXT3 is Linux filesystem.
    anyway, MrVan nailed the rest.
    :thumb:
    thank you both, i just didnt know if you could run non raid and raid together

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information