Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trouble formatting hard drive

okay end of summer cleaning, time to reinstall windows on this computer...i'm still waiting (been too lazy to do it) to RMA my hard drive so i've been using the family computer (old compaq presario), i cant seem to format the hard drive! how do i do it?! i was able to format d: by right clicking on the drive in my computer and choosing format, but like i made a dos startup disk and stuff and from there it says like invalid operation or whatever when i type format c: or whatever. How do i do it? thx

I'll take a wild shot in the dark and guess that you're running either WinXP or Win2k? If so, then you likely have an NTFS file system in place. Since DOS can't see an NTFS partition, it can't format the drive.

If you're planning on installing an NT based operating system again, then just install it and format the C:\ drive during setup. It will be one of the first options available to you.

If you're dead set about doing it within DOS, then you'll need to remove the C:\ partition completely using fdisk and then recreate it as a FAT32 partition. THEN you will be able to format the drive.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

ah, that makes sense sorta....btw i am on xp lol
    thanks though :-P

This what I do when I want to reformat my hard drive(I have win xp pro full version): First you need a Windows Me 3.5 boot disk. You can obtain one here: www.bootdisk.com After you have a win me boot disk, turn off your computer completely and insert the win me boot disk into your 3.5 floppy drive and turn on the computer. It will come up with four options. Choose the option that lets you boot up with cd rom drivers. Then, where the a:/ prompt is, type format c: (then hit enter) It should come up with a warning screen saying that it will completely erase all data and have a Y/N choice. hit the Y button on your keyboard. It will begin formatting your drive. When it is finished it will ask you to name your drive or just hit enter. I usually just hit enter and leave it blank. Now your drive is formatted and you can put whatever operating system you want on it!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

WinME reads NTFS partitions?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Beefy Guest

No. The FDISK solution is the one you need...

Just reboot with the XP CD in the drive and boot from the disc.

You can reformat it there and it will install when it is done formatting (do NTFS).

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

how do you boot from a xp cd is the xp cd called sytem recovery
    Wilde Gonzalez

Go into your BIOS. You will have to press F1 or something like that when your computer starts up. Then change your boot device priority so your CD drive has priority. If you have a Compaq as you say, it is very likely that you XP CD is labeled "recovery," or something like that.

Doesnt that machine rely on what was in d drive in conjunction with the recovery disc to reinstall windows? Compaq does that to prevent sharing the os with anyone else.
    athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
    tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
    asus a7n8xe-dlx
    thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
    bfg 6800gt
    seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
    samsung dvdrw
    2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
    logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
    2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
    creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
    mushkin 550w