Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Well...I was going to get the WD Raptor...until I saw the Se

I was going to get the Western Digital Raptor because of it's fast seek times, then I went to google and tried to find the hard drive with the FASTEST seek time period.....it is the Seagate Cheetah X15! (It is a SCSI hard drive with 1,500 rpm and 3.6 seek time- ULTRA 160 SCSI) A question....could I buy this drive and put it in my Asus A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard?? Do I have to buy a scsi controller card?? If so, which one would work for this particular hard drive?? Because I am going to be putting the OS on it and using my other drive for storage and games and apps....I would probably get the 18 gig version. I can get new one for a good price on ebay. Has anybody else heard of these drives and what knid of a reputation they have??? Does anybody have one in their machine???
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

A question back to you: How much can you afford to put into a HD?

Answers to some of your questions:
    Do a search on eBay. It isn't difficult. Personnaly I'd stay away from such a purchase via eBay, unless it's coming from a bonified retailer.

I do not know about your mobo, however I'd bet $ it does not have a SCSI controller on it. Go to the Seagate to learn about the drive and the controller it'll need.

Drives like these are more for professional use. You'll realize why when you see how much they cost.
    :-(

No idea about their reputation but they seem really fast!!
    To answer your question, yes you have to get a scsi card to use this HDD, that is why people get the WD Raptor, its ide AND its fast!!!
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-
    AMD 1800+ @ 1880Mhz on A7S333 , 250 Meg DDR 333 Platinum @2-2-2-6
    Asus TNT 2 32 meg (128) , 250W ATX, 200W AT (same case)
    Steel automotive intake fan (see avatar) , 3X40mm exaust fans in the back

Well I may have answered my own question about me using SCSI drives on an xp system! I went to a place that specializes in hard drives www.storagereview.com but they say in one of their FAQs that a SCSI drive may not perform well in win xp! This is due to correcting a bug in win 2k that caused write-thru flags to be ignored and due to the "fix" now IE may not perform well with SCSI drives in xp! Man! Fix one thing and make another not work...typical microsoft! Here is the FAQ http://www.storagereview.com/php/tik...XpScsiProblems They say the problem MAY be fixed in SP2 for xp......but when THAT will be out is anyones guess! I guess for now then, I will have to go with the western digital raptor, because it is the only one I have read about that does not have performance issues in xp!
    Here are my specs:
    System Specs: ATX generic case with Antec 550 watt power supply. ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Motherboard. Western Digital 7,200 RPM 40 gig IDE Hard Drive.(NTFS- file system) AMD Athlon XP 2600 processor.(standard fan and heatsink-Thoroughbred Core-standard speed-NO OVERCLOCK) 1 gig of Samsung DDRAM(PC 2700- 333 mhz....2-512mb sticks running in dual channel mode).Ati Radeon 8x 9600 XT (8x is enabled on motherboard). Soundblaster Audigy 2 sound card. Motorola sb 5100 cable modem (Insight Communications-Cable Connection) BenQ 16x DVD- RECORDER.(records -R/-RW or +R/+RW and CD-R formats) LG 52x32x52 CD Burner. Zip 100 internal drive and a generic 3.5 floppy drive. Windows XP Professional Operating System. I also have a HP Deskjet 3520 inkjet printer and a KDS X Flat 17 inch CRT monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by elrado1
    A question back to you: How much can you afford to put into a HD?

Answers to some of your questions:
    Do a search on eBay. It isn't difficult. Personnaly I'd stay away from such a purchase via eBay, unless it's coming from a bonified retailer.

webe3: Well I WAS going to get it through a retailer on ebay!

Drives like these are more for professional use. You'll realize why when you see how much they cost.

webe3: Not really! Check out this link! The 18 gig Seagate Cheetah 15x is around what the raptor costs! http://search.ebay.com/ws/search/Sal...0&BasicSearch=

webe3: These prices are not bad at all!
    Here are my specs:

yeah but the cheeter is only half the sixe of the raptor and you would still need to get a SCSI controller card and these can be very expensive for a good one

Beefy Guest

SCSI drives really aren't very common in normal PCs, due to their cost. Also, I think you're putting a little too much emphasis on drive speeds here. With the amount of storage space you'll be sacrificing for a slight performance increase (possibly not even that), plus the added cost, it's not worth it.

If you want some fast drives, stick with Raptors... When you start delving into SCSI it becomes overkill, unless you plan on setting up a decent RAID system (which costs even more).

IDE Raid isnt all that expensive, but SCSI RAID is.

SCSI does kick IDE ass, but I think its totaly unnescessary for home system. But than again, so are all the ColdCathode lights. So if its the choice on spending $ on one of the two, I say go for SCSI.:2cents:

Well I went ahead and ordered me a WD Raptor! I read in those forums at www.storagereview.com that as far as seeing any performance leap in games even IF you have a SCSI 15,000 rpm drive, there will not be any major differences you can tell! So I thought I might as well go with the Raptor! I KNOW the Rapror is reliable, it is a proven favorite for a lot of desktop users. (I also like what I read about win xp taking 15 minutes to install from a clean format!)
    Here are my specs:

Mine installed XP in 10 minutes flat from the start of the blue screen.

The timer still starts at 39 minutes but it was done in 10.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Thread Information