Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Virus?

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chezman29
    Beefy,

I agree FDISK would be good to do.

Although wouldn't it be a good idea to use the tests on the Maxtor utility boot disk to see if the is broke and can be "repaired" via the utitilites.
    OR am I missing something here again.

I think you are better at these harddrive issues so please share.....

Chez:cheers:
    Your idea is just as feasible as mine, it's just that someone decided to totally ignore what I said.

And I wouldn't say 'better' either... :)

I figured after you posted the FDISK option and he was still kind of "lost"... I would post the other option of using the utilities and options of the OEM just to make it a little easier. Since it comes with pretty little GUI. ;)

I'll be honest though. When it comes to Maxtor I like to use the OEM utilities just because it has saved my butt a couple times myself in years past when I used them more. Simple and easy most of the time.

For some people Fdisk and its associated programs are sometimes like speaking Dos, which is soon becoming a lost art...sadly. I first learned DOS while trying to play Leisure Suit Larry when I was 12 or 13. For those that don't know, it was a game that you tried to talk to a girl and "say" the right things to get her to take off her clothes, or kiss you or whatever. We thought we were "bad" when we got it up and running. lol

Anyway FDISK or the OEM, they both work. I just figured after you suggested it, and he didn't seem too keen on it. He didn't know what it was or how to use it.

Whatever works,
    Chez

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Chezman29
    For some people Fdisk and its associated programs are sometimes like speaking Dos, which is soon becoming a lost art...sadly. I first learned DOS while trying to play Leisure Suit Larry when I was 12 or 13. For those that don't know, it was a game that you tried to talk to a girl and "say" the right things to get her to take off her clothes, or kiss you or whatever. We thought we were "bad" when we got it up and running. lol
    Good point. But if he had of mentioned he didn't know how, it's easy to redirect to a guide, or try step through it myself. Plus if you're telling someone about bootdisks, then they usually need some idea about CLIs.

I was bought up on DOS since I was 7, so it's second nature now.

thanks alot but the problem aint over yet :cry: im going to try to make a bootable disk from the site you guys provided......but what will this disk do for me? i dont know anything about DOS so if i have to type in commands to repair my hdd.....im screwed!! so imma make the disk and wait for a reply uhh sorry im new at this computer stuff.....what do i dnwld from the site?!?! :?: :?:
    http://www.tweaktown.com/forums/atta...&postid=199327
    &lt;small&gt;&lt;body bgcolor="#000000" text="#ffffff" link="red" alink="red" vlink="red"&gt;<font color="blue">_BOARD:_ </font>MSI 648MAX-L SIS-648 Chipset With 10/100 LAN/SOUND/USB2.0/8X AGP
    <font color="blue">_CASE:_ </font> RaidMax A268 MID-TOWER CASE + 350 Watt Power + Window
    <font color="blue">_CD:_ </font> 16X DVD-ROM
    <font color="blue">_CDRW:_ </font> 52x24x52 CD-RW DRIVE
    <font color="blue">_CPU:_ </font> [533MHZ FSB] Intel(TM) Pentium-4 2.40 GHZ
    <font color="blue">_FAN:_ </font> Certified CPU FAN, HEATSINK & 2 CASE FANS
    <font color="blue">_FDD:_ </font> Mitsumi 1.44 MB Floppy Drive
    <font color="blue">_HDD:_ </font>80 GB Ultra ATA-100 7200 RPM Hard Drive
    <font color="blue">_MEMORY:_ </font>[DDR400] 512 MB PC3200 Memory
    <font color="blue">_MODEM:_ </font> PCI 56K V.90 FAX/Modem W/Voice
    <font color="blue">_NETWORK:_ </font>D-LINK PCI 32 BIT 10/100 Network Card
    <font color="blue">_OS:_ </font> MS Windows XP Professional Edition
    <font color="blue">_SOUND:_ </font>3D Stereo Sound ONBOARD
    <font color="blue">_SPEAKER:_ </font>420 WATTS PMPO 3 PCS Subwoofer Speaker System
    <font color="blue">_VIDEO:_</font> ** 8X AGP ** NVIDIA GEFORCE-FX 5200 128MB W/ TV OUT 8X AGP Video
    &lt;vlink="red"&gt;
    MY WEB SITE!!&lt;/small&gt;

just put that disk in your floppy drive and boot from it.
    i don't know abt maxtor but i have tried samsung and seagate disks and they don't ask u to type any commands.
    its all user friendly interface with even your mouse working (if it is a simple PS/2 mouse ofcourse). just go and check your drive as the name of the tests are all self explanatory.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

So did you d/l the Maxtor bootdisk, use the utilities to see what was wrong with your drive and if it can be repaired, and then reformatted it?

Chez

why dont you take the hd out, put it in another computer, and format it...

also, did you have these problems right when you installed it? when'd it start happening? maybe it was something you installed? power supply? short circuit? bad ram? loose power connector? etc.

Im pretty sure it has nothing to do with the hardware..cause i didnt touch anything internal for several weeks prior to this incident and the only software i dnwlded in the last month was aol 9.0 so unless that messed it up, i dont know what the hella happened....and sorry chez ima going to make that reboot disk right now so ill get back to you in a few hrs aite? ugh its so frustrating to not know anything!!! what do i dnwld from that site u gave me...i went to the maxtor site and all i could find is maxblast 3 is this the apropriete thing to dwnld for my problem :?:
    &lt;small&gt;&lt;body bgcolor="#000000" text="#ffffff" link="red" alink="red" vlink="red"&gt;<font color="blue">_BOARD:_ </font>MSI 648MAX-L SIS-648 Chipset With 10/100 LAN/SOUND/USB2.0/8X AGP
    <font color="blue">_CASE:_ </font> RaidMax A268 MID-TOWER CASE + 350 Watt Power + Window
    <font color="blue">_SPEAKER:_ </font>420 WATTS PMPO 3 PCS Subwoofer Speaker System
    <font color="blue">_VIDEO:_</font> ** 8X AGP ** NVIDIA GEFORCE-FX 5200 128MB W/ TV OUT 8X AGP Video
    &lt;vlink="red"&gt;

I've had this happen before, and dealt with numerous customers who had this happen.
    He also said that when he tried to reinstall it said there were bad blocks.

The harddrive has some bad blocks and clusters. Causing corruptions in Windows. It can be caused by numerous things, to include shutting down your computer without shutting down windows properly, lock ups. Ect. ect. ect.

Maxtors are pretty touchy. When it happens though, the best remedy is to use the software that Maxtor usually sends with their drives, boot, follow the onscreen options, perform the tests. I guarantee they will find the problems. It should also isolate the bad areas, reformat and he will be back on the road.

Chez

yeah but i have no disk from the maxtor ppl cuase i ordered my comp from an online company.....so i need to dnwld one myslef!! help me find it please..!!:cry: :cry:
    &lt;vlink="red"&gt;

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information