Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does it always happen to me

I've just built my girlfriends Dad a Pc. Eveyones elses I've done inlcuding mine have gone without a hitch. Anyway. I'm at his house copying a whole load of files off his old hard drive. Then I'm told that there is no more space available WTF!!!!!! :eek: I think he's sitting there and he says what does that mean? 'insert your own excuses here' (i couldn't think of one so I kept quiet) Anyway I check the system and it says the hard drive is only 2gb its supposed to be 40.

Now I ran fdisk it told me that there was one partition on there using fat 16 at 2 gb it also said something about being a dos partition :confused:

I think that there are few reasons that are causing this.

1) When I installed 98 I ballsed it up and created a standard partition with FAT16 and the maxium 2gb partition space. BTW this leads to think why hasn't the other 38gb shown up?

2) The hard drive is faulty - However everything runs beautifully.

When I was building this PC I firstly installed DOS 6.2 then Windows 98 Se then Windows ME. I'm thinking the best bet to sort this out is to Uninstall Windows ME then stick the 98 Cd back in and start again.

Please help my girlfriends parents are posh and already think I'm ugly I don't want them to think I'm a idoit aswell :thumbs do

Edit:

I've just thought. Fat 16 will only allow 2gb to be used. If I use partition magic shouldn't I be able to sort that out?

What are you using FAT 16 for anyway? ? ?
    That is like a file system for Atari! lol

Anyway, go back, FDISK it to FAT32. Reinstall Windows 98.
    Its not showing up cause you are in FAT16.

My .02

Chez

If they are posh, tell em' to sport for XP and save yourself the Windows ME nightmare.

BTW As far as G/F parents systems go, NEVER volunteer to help. It usually will bite you in the arssssss. Especially if you aren't 100% sure you can fix, repair, install, troubleshoot with goooooood confidence so you don't have to "keep quiet".

BTW2- He saw your eyes twitch and the sweat beading off your brow. LOLOL

What are you using FAT 16 for anyway? ? ?

Lol I don't know it was late at night. I probably thought yeah whatever i'll do that.

BTW As far as G/F parents systems go, NEVER volunteer to help.
    You would not believe the amount of effort I went to to get them to buy a Dell. Mind you I did make 100 ot of it

You made money off you GIRLFRIENDS PARENTS.
    You got it comin' to ya buddy.

Thats what we call "gettin' whats comin' to ya" BAD KARMA...

Good luck getting out of this whole you dug!!! :yuc:

Chez

I was thinking of filiing my nice hole with water ending it now.

Thats what we call "gettin' whats comin' to ya" BAD KARMA...
    Not filling me with confidence :laugh: lol

I let you know how it all goes........if I'm still alive lol. So do you think Partition magic will work

Never had to use it so I don't know. I wouldn't "test" it on their system either if you don't know how to use it.

I would go back, FDISK it, make ONE partition. It will seperate the drive into 2. C and D.
    Make the OS reside in a 5-10 gig partition. And the other 30-35gig for all of their files, games, ect.

Good luck,
    Chez

Beefy Guest

Instead of wiping it all and starting again, you can simply convert the partition to FAT 32 via the windows drive converter (or whatever they call it). Then, load up your favouritre partition program and either extend the partition and make it bigger, or add another partition for the rest of the space.

One thing I've found with common people's PCs is that they don't quite understand why they have a C: and a D:, so I usually just leave it all as one big partition.

The other possiblity, if it's a relatively old PC, is that it might not be able to handle drives larger than 32GB (hardware support). If that's the case, then there's a jumper setting on the drive that will turn force it down to 32GB, so you can still use it.

fat 16 is only good to 2gb, can't make a larger partition than that in it.

Beefy, he's alright on the drive size and all. He just made a mistake while formatting and partitioning it for his g/f DAD. (probably was thinking of.......whats the "british word for it"...hmmmmm......boinking?......or.....THATS it ........!!!Shagging his daughter).
    He got all flustered and FAT16'd it.

I would assume that Partition Magic has a drive converter, so he can just fix it up like you suggested and then just going from there. Never had to use partition software so I am not sure.
    OR the drive converter utitlity for that matter.

Chez

To save future headaches (and much tech support on your part) I would recommend redoing it as NTFS and installing XP (get with the times).....

My :2cents:.

FX5900 - 3DMark2001 [20,566] - 3DMark2003 [7,281] - Aquamark3 [56,694]
    Ti4400 - 3DMark2001 [16,028]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information