Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem about 2nd HD, thanks

Hello! every buddy!

I just bought a 120G HD yesterday from COMUSA at $59.99. and I need to install it as a slave HD, but my BOIS is not able to find out the correct size, it always display 32G something, but actually it is 120G, My PC is COMPAQ 5103CL, and the lastest BOIS is 7/28/02, i already upgrade it ,but still not work!

anyone has any idea about this, please give me a hand and help me out..

P.S. people said there is a app called "Disk Manager 9.53" can solve this prob, is it?
    or i need to buy a "Promise" card( i dont know how to call that exactly."

if you know something about that ,please help!
    the HD you still can get it from COMPUSA till 9-4-03, if you want it dont wait till the last min because by the time i bought it , it was the last one! hope this will help the people who are looking for a NEW HD, enjoy:cheers:
    mess with the best, die like the rest
    :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

What chipset is that mobo? Most mobos with a few years on their back won't support bigger drives than 32Gb.

which brand of HD did you buy? :?:
    mostly all of the HD manufacturers have that Disk Manager you are talking about on their websites. it enables you to have support for disks larger than 32GB and yes...they do work :)
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

are you able to enter details on the drive manually in the bios? you'll have to check the stickers on the drive for the number of heads / cyliners / other weird stuff.

have you run fdisk and format on it?
    <BR>====================
    The Crimea / The Crocketts
    <A HREF="http://www.inaudible.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.inaudible.co.uk</A>
    ====================

Older borads cannot support large drives. U may need to get a controller card for your system as the controler by passes the bios.

why to start two threads when you can do with one?
    EDIT: removed
    not good :no:

EDIT by Beefy: He's right. One thread is plenty. I merged them now.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I havent run the FDISK yet, because the SIZE is false, i worried about that the formatting will issue my HD, so havent done that yet.

buddy VinnieVen said i need a controller card to pass that, do you have any idea what kinds of the card i should buy at "FRY" or "COMPUSA"

I went to fry and asked them, they said they know nothing about it ! sucks!

any one has any idea what i should by ???
    controller card

thanks to VinnieVen and pepsi_max2k!
    To: asklepios i terribly sorry about i posted 2 threat once in a time , coz i went that first and posted there, and i found that was not the right place. sorry!!
    :cheers:
    mess with the best, die like the rest
    :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

Quote Originally Posted by LiOnHeArT
    To: asklepios i terribly sorry about i posted 2 threat once in a time , coz i went that first and posted there, and i found that was not the right place. sorry!!
    :cheers:
    np but just use this thread till it is merged with the earlier one.
    anyways...u haven't mentioned what make of HD you have?
    i guess you didn't visit the other thread ;)
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

if you havent run fdisk on it then try that and see what happens.

i should know after 2 years of college computing courses but i must've been :zzz: through the lessons so...

it's something to do with partitioning your hard drive, basicaly telling the comp what size the drive is which might be causing the problems you have.

go here http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1 and scroll down half the page to where it says How to Repartition and Format a Slave Hard Disk. make sure the first thing you do after typing in fdisk is hit 5 and then 2 for the slave drive, otherwise you'll start messing up your main hard drive and you really don't wanna be doing that.

of you still have problems after that then... do what the all the clever people say. like the card thing. or shoot it or get drunk or free yourself of modern technology and be happy again :bounce: :group: :shrug:
    <BR>====================
    The Crimea / The Crocketts
    <A HREF="http://www.inaudible.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.inaudible.co.uk</A>
    ====================

Pepsi's close but it doesn't have to do with partitioning the drive and all.

Vinnievin actually has it.
    Your bios is an older version that can't recognize drives larger than 32gig.
    So if your mobo doesn't have a new bios out that fixes that problem then you will need to buy a "ATA 100/133 Hard drive controller card". It should be cheaper than $50 or so.
    That will bypass your bios so you can run a harddrive larger than the bios supports.

After you install that, connect your harddrive to the controller card, and the controller card to the ide connector on your motherboard. Install the software that it comes with and you will be on the road with your new drive, in all its larger glory. After that, fdisk it, format it, partition it, and fill er' up.

Chez:cheers:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information