Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raid 0 -----Raid 1

Newby question ........................
    Whats the diff between raid 0 and raid 1

Thanks in advance
    Hawg-dawg

Where are those old threads when you need them...ahhh! found one...

Differnce...
    - Damien

Wow .............Thanks
    Can i run two Raid arrays ? 4 drives ?
    Hawg-dawg

do you have two raid controllers?...if not no if you do then yes...but just because your motherbaord has four IDE Channels doesn't mean you have them all under that raid controller. Notice two channels are one color while the other are another color.
    - Damien

thats not entirely true. depensding on what controller u have, u can run a raid 0, 1, 5 ,10 with four drives as long as there are the proper # of channels.

With the onboard raid u can run 2 raid arrays with 2 drives on each. U wont be able to do anything other than 0 and 1 with the onboard controllers.

If u are referring to scsi, u can run up to 15 drives in one array.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieVen
    thats not entirely true. depensding on what controller u have, u can run a raid 0, 1, 5 ,10 with four drives as long as there are the proper # of channels.

With the onboard raid u can run 2 raid arrays with 2 drives on each. U wont be able to do anything other than 0 and 1 with the onboard controllers.

If u are referring to scsi, u can run up to 15 drives in one array.
    you're right...but i suppose a mobo will have one controller using only two channels..while the other channels are regular IDE channels. I assume he is talking about an onboard raid controller on his mobo. How can you run two raid 0 with one controller...? unless you have four IDE channels under one controller...but thats not the case on most mobos.
    - Damien

I used to run a raid 0 and 1 on my Gigabyte ga-7vaxp with onboard promise 20276 controller and it let me do it alright. I suspect that there was a preformance loss in doing so but I didnt investigate any futher.

I used to run a raid 0 and 1 on my Gigabyte ga-7vaxp with onboard promise 20276 controller and it let me do it alright. I suspect that there was a preformance loss in doing so but I didnt investigate any futher.
    Right...its called a Raid 0+1 which is 4 drives...in total 2 drives on each channel which mirrors everything...and yes for perfomance a solo raid 0 would be best but you won't have the security that you do with a 0+1.
    - Damien

no, not 0+1, just o on one channel, 1 on the other.

no, not 0+1, just o on one channel, 1 on the other.
    First time i ever heard of such thing...:confused:

Now that i think about it...even if its possible why would you want that...why not make it a Raid 0+1 and mirror the Raid 0 instead of just one single drive?

Are you sure you aren't talking about 0+1?

I never heard of having a Raid 0 on just one channel....
    - Damien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information