Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New HDD problems...

Ok, after installing my new HDD's (see thread below), I've ran into some problems. First, after I copied the "Doucment and Settings" folders from my old HDD to my new HDD, and put the needed files where I want them to be, the left over files delete incredible slowly. Each file can only be deleted one at a time, and each file takes about 8 sec to delete. So in a favorites folder with 200 addresses (at least) that's close to 30 min. And I still have the my documents folder too, which is even bigger. So what's going on here and how do I fix it? Thx. Also, my old Maxtor (the 160GB) says I have 10GB worth of material on it, (142GB free of 152GB), but I have only 7GB taken up at the most. What happened to my other 3 GB? Any help with this is much appreciated, thx again, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

The other 3 gb might be system restore point. Is your system restore on? If so then you can go my computer--->right click on your matrox---> properties---disk clean up----> more option tab---then clean up restore points if you want..
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Already checked that, I dont have system restore on that drive. Ah well, thx for the reply. Also, stuff moves a little jumy now, even audio, what's causing that? Thx, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Is system restore "on" on the other drive? Because windows might have choosen the matrox as a default drive for system restore. I might be wrong but check and see.
    CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
    Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
    RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
    GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
    PSU: Thermaltake 500w
    SC: Audigy 2 zs
    LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
    Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
    Mouse: Logitech G5

Quote Originally Posted by Mista K6
    Ok, after installing my new HDD's (see thread below), I've ran into some problems. First, after I copied the "Doucment and Settings" folders from my old HDD to my new HDD, and put the needed files where I want them to be, the left over files delete incredible slowly. Each file can only be deleted one at a time, and each file takes about 8 sec to delete. So in a favorites folder with 200 addresses (at least) that's close to 30 min. And I still have the my documents folder too, which is even bigger. So what's going on here and how do I fix it? Thx. Also, my old Maxtor (the 160GB) says I have 10GB worth of material on it, (142GB free of 152GB), but I have only 7GB taken up at the most. What happened to my other 3 GB? Any help with this is much appreciated, thx again, : peace2: Mista K6

From reading your post I'm not sure why you want to delete files if your planning on trashing your old drive? Maybe I misunderstood. Aren't you just transfering needed files from one drive to another becuase your old drive is bad but somehow manage to retreive files from it?

Anyway, to trouble shoot a harddrive I would make sure all your settings for the drive read correctly in Cmos, sounds like something isn't set right to me. Does both Cmos and Windows read the drives volume correctly? Was the drive formatted for that system?

The first thing I would replace would be the data input cable just incase there is something wrong with that and make sure you don't have the harddrive and CDrom hooked up to the same IDE connector or the wrong one from your MB.

Other than that I can't really say what might be wrong from the way your previous post was worded. :shrug:

hmmm... I'll try my best to reword it :) .

Ok, first, I turned off, then turned on, then reset System Restore on my F drive and that gave me back about 2.5GB. For some reason it didn't read it the first time, but works fine now, so I wont ask questions :p . I decided to keep system restore on my F: drive anyways, just in case something screwy goes wrong on it I can back it up. At 1% of the total drive, it's using 1.9GB, so that accounts for any space I'm missing. Thx for the reply AsianBatman, it made me go back and check my settings a second time, .

Ok, sry about the wording. Essentially, I took the My Documents, Cookies, and Favorites files from my old WD HDD, and transfered them into the program files directory on my new HDD using MaxBlast 3. Then I took whatever individual files I needed from those categories and placed those files into the My Documents and Favorites folders under Documents and Settings under my username on the New Maxtor HDD. The files that I thought I needed but didnt use (and the leftovers cause I copied and pasted) are still in the program files directory. When I try to delete them, such as the cookie folder, only one file deletes at a time, and each deletion takes about 7 sec. If I highlight 5 files, the little status box comes up and it takes me about 35 sec to delete all five. Cookie files normally take about 0.2 sec to delete, so what's going on here? The same happens with the left over my documents files. The drives, both running at ATA/133 are incredibly fast otherwise, those leftover files just lag for some reason. Hope that helps, and thx for the reply, sry about the first explanation. : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

no one knows??? :cry:
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

no one knows??? :cry:

I know Maxblast software use to do weird things if you use the same data imput cable to transfer files from one drive to another. Maxtor tech support told me to use seperate data cables on each drive when using their Maxblast software for file tranfers.
    Other than that I'd probably try a whole different data imput cable between drives just incase you have a bad cable. Maybe you have a virus. .:idea:

Does CMos show the proper settings for your drive? Make sure you have IDE DMA transfer access, Onchip IDE Ch0+1, and Ide prefetch Mode all enabled if you have any of those settings in your Cmos, and again make sure everything is set as it should be for your drives. Do you have write caching enabled in Windows and is it optimized for performance? These are a few things I can think of off the top of my head that might have strange side effects if they are not set right.

Ok, sad thing is, I did all of those and no good. To transfer the data from the WD to the new Maxtor, I used an IDE master/slave (WD as slave) combo with the cable connected to the mother board. Now I have a different cable (round cable) connecting the new Maxtor (master) and the old maxtor (slave) to a PCI 133 controller card (so they run at ATA/133 speeds). What's CMOS? If it's anything to do with BIOS, then no, cause my BIOS are Dell BIOS and they are extremely limited, and none of those settings are available. Write caching is enabled and optimized for performance. It can't be a virus, cause the drives work fine other wise, those files are just slow. Last night I deleted the Cookies file I had carried over from the WD, and it took 45 min :wow: . I think it all comes down to my old WD having some write/sharing protections on, and so I dont have access to them on this comp, and so it takes so long for the drive to just figure out to delete them. An interesting point is that they dont go to the recycling bin either, they just are straight deleted. Anywho, it seems my best bet is to hook up the old WD once more and transfer all the files back to the old WD, then to turn off the privacy/security settings (HELP???) and try to transfer my documents back once more. Anywho, thx for the reply, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Ok, sad thing is, I did all of those and no good. What's CMOS?
    Cmos(complementary metal oxide semiconductor)= It stores the date, time, and SYSTEM SETUP parameters for your P.C., or you could just call it the Bios setup for short.
    On most computers you hit the delete key, or the F1 key to get to it when you see the first screen appear upon bootup.

Have you considered backing up your stuff and REFORMATTING to get a fresh start?:idea: It probably wouldn't hurt to reset your Bios before you reformat, that way you have everything covered and if the problem still persist you will know that its either a hardware problem or someting hooked up wrong or set wrong on your hardware.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information