Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Raid VS Raptor!

I have read a lot in this forum and others on setting up raid 0. But this came from the pioneer of raid maybe it can help you. I got it from MAXIMUMPC.

“Promise pioneered the use of low-cost ATA drives in RAID arrays, enabling high-end performance at one-half to one-third the cost of SCSI drives. If you’re already using ATA RAID, then you know it’s a cost-effective solution for kicking up storage system performance. And, if you’re into maximum performance, you’re probably using RAID 0. Storage system performance is directly related to the hardware you use, but there are still some good rules that apply to all hard drives. Here are some of the tips from Promise (www.promise.com) that should ensure you’re getting the most of your RAID 0 storage.
    When using ATA drives, configure the drives as Master drives, with one drive per channel. Using slave drives will increase overhead, reducing performance.
    Use the RAID 0 array as a data drive and not as the boot drive. When the operating system and the page file reside on the boot drive, it creates overhead that can diminish the performance of applications like Adobe’s Photoshop and Premiere.
    Using the page file on RAID 0: If you are using multiple RAID 0 arrays-either four drives in Master/Slave (ATA) or four drives as Master on a SATA RAID controller, we recommend the following:
    • Boot to onboard IDE
    • Use array 1 for page file (experienced users only)
    • Use array 2 for the data drive, applications, games, and more
    When using Windows XP, turn off the System Restore on the RAID 0 array. System Restore monitors the disk (array) reducing performance.
    Use single partitions. Using multiple partitions reduces application performance because you are running I/O to more than one partition on the same disk (array). If you use multiple partitions, do not move the page file to any of the “partitions” on the array where your applications or games are running-this will prevent you from getting optimal performance.”
    This setup makes sense; I will be trying it soon By adding my promise fasttrak 100 tx2, and two 30 gig WD 7200 rpm hds.
    XP PRO SP2
    CM STACKER 830 +PC POWER AND COOLING 510
    ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE
    2GB XMS TWINX2048-3500LLPRO
    BFG 7800 GT’S
    ATHLON 64 X2 4800
    2 WD 150 GIG 16 MEG CACHE DRIVES RAID ZERO
    FATALITY SOUND CARD
    LOGITECH Z-5500 SPEAKERS

more power to ya :thumb:
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Carefull mixing apples N oranges with ATA 100/133 (Parallel ATA) and SATA @150 (Serial ATA)

StorageReview.com does a pretty good job of benchmarking drives in REAL world scenarios.

Two ATA 133 drives (7200rpm, 8ms seek and 8M buffer) in raid 0 each on it's own channel (not set up master/slave) might be on par with one Raptor SATA but not any better. Two slow 5400 rpm or even 7200 2M buffer on ATA 100 won't even come close.

WD 360GD Raptors, 36.7GB, 10,000rpm, 5.2ms seek and a solid 5 year warranty... better yet they are near $100 each with free shipping most everywhere.

No, they are not a VALUE drive @$2.63 per GB. Not too long ago though, we were happy to pay $5.00 pre GB. So you decide where your personal $$ per GB lies. I know there are $0.63/GB drives out there but check out that long one year warranty.

ON an ASUS A7N8X Delux MB, twin raptors in Raid 0 (striped) will preform on par with most $800 SCSI Ultra 160 setups. (about the same size GB wise)

No more danger with RAID 0 and a dead drive as with one big drive and it is still dead. You still need to replace a drive and set your system back up. On a singel drive system if your drive is dead then you can spend a lot of money to do data recovery. On a striped (raid 0) setup and one drive dead you will spend infinatly more to recover your data. BUT gee whiz... aint that the reason we all learned to do BACK UPs?

So for less than $225.00 you can have 73GB of VERY fast hard drive (raid 0)and no redundancy. Or two 36GB very fast hard drives (raid 1) total space 36GB Mirrored.

I just bought a pair of SATA/150 80GB Hard Drives... planning to RAID 0 them as soon as they show up :).

Beefy Guest

I did the same with two 120GB SATA drives.. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    I did the same with two 120GB SATA drives.. ;)
    Good for you :p :).

I don't really use that much space either, I've survived on my current 40GB HDD for quite some time, although some more space will definately help with video editing etc. :).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information