Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raid VS Raptor!

What is faster, getting the Raptor SATA or 2 ata 100 or 133 drives in Raid 0 (or 1?? two hd working as a big one).

Considering the price, these would cost almost the same... from where i am. (the 2 HD would be bigger i know!)

How does a raid controller card works, where do you plug it?
    Is it slower than integrated?
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-
    AMD 1800+ @ 1880Mhz on A7S333 , 250 Meg DDR 333 Platinum @2-2-2-6
    Asus TNT 2 32 meg (128) , 250W ATX, 200W AT (same case)
    Steel automotive intake fan (see avatar) , 3X40mm exaust fans in the back

and, since the drives are the slowest component of a system, for gamers A/V etc.= raid

And for the rest of my question?:?:
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-

Beefy Guest

What is faster, getting the Raptor SATA or 2 ata 100 or 133 drives in Raid 0 (or 1?? two hd working as a big one).
    A RAID with two SATA drives will be faster, and much much larger, than the Raptor by itself.

Considering the price, these would cost almost the same... from where i am. (the 2 HD would be bigger i know!)
    Considering you'd get 36GB vs 2 x 80GB (or better), the 2 HD option is much better value.

How does a raid controller card works, where do you plug it?
    Is it slower than integrated?

A lot of modern motherboards have built in RAID controllers with their SATA controllers. However, if you motherboard has neither, then you'd need to get a SATA RAID PCI card in one. It simply sits in a PCI slot. It's probably a bit more fiddly to get working than onboard, but the manual that comes with the controller should help. I've never actually seen a SATA RAID controller card, but I hear there's a few floating around.

Sry to latch on to a thread like this, but I have some questions about the exact same thing :p . First, isn't RAID 0 a bit risky, considering if a drive goes, you're screwed cause they both share the data? Second, is it possible to combat this by making back-ups on a spare drive (not a 0+1 config, but a RAID 0 config w/ two drives, and then you copy w/e data you want to back up onto the third drive, does that work?). Finally, what about two Raptors in a Raid configuration? That's what I was going to go with for my new comp. I don't want to buy four drives and set up a RAID 0+1, so hence my suggestion above. J/w, sry for the latching, thx, : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:
    -400MHz FSB i850 Intel mobo
    -P4 Williamette Socket 478, 1.9GHz
    -768MB 16-bit PC800 RDRAM
    -MSI GF4 Ti4200 128MB @ 284/581
    -7200 RPM Maxtors: 60GB (2MB) on mobo and 160GB (8MB) on ATA/133 PCI Card
    -Creative Inspire T7700 7.1 Speaker System on an Audigy 2
    -Windows XP Home Edition SP2

Rock on : peace2: , MiStA K6

Beefy Guest

First, isn't RAID 0 a bit risky, considering if a drive goes, you're screwed cause they both share the data?
    Definitely. It's always a risk. However, say you wanted 200GB storage. You could go and buy a 200gb drive, or 2 x 100GB drives in raid. If the 200GB failed, you lose 200gb of data. if one of the 100gb drives failed, you lose the same amount. However, replacement costs are way different, between a 200gb drive and a 100gb drive. Personally, I've been lucky enough not to have a HDD actually die on me yet, so I'm quite happy to take the chance with RAID.

Second, is it possible to combat this by making back-ups on a spare drive (not a 0+1 config, but a RAID 0 config w/ two drives, and then you copy w/e data you want to back up onto the third drive, does that work?).
    Sure, that works. However, do you really want to manually be making a copy of all your data and wasting a whole other drive to do it?

Finally, what about two Raptors in a Raid configuration? That's what I was going to go with for my new comp. I don't want to buy four drives and set up a RAID 0+1, so hence my suggestion above. J/w, sry for the latching, thx, : peace2: Mista K6
    Two Raptors in RAID? It'll be quick, but you only get 72GB storage. Then, if you've got a 80GB drive, you could easily back up everything onto it... But is it really worth doing?

Well, right now I have my 60GB system drive with just under 7GB used, and I have a 160GB "speed" drive with only about 8GB used. I dont really store that much info: I'm not into storing movies/DVD's or converting files etc. I basically use my comp as a word processor, internet browser, and gaming rig, with some extra stuff here and there. Usually I only keep one or two games installed at most, cause that's the most I can usually play. WHen I'm done with one, I uninstall, defrag, and install another. So, 72GB is plenty for me. I'd probably use the 160GB drive from this comp as a system drive/storage drive, and keep the Raptor RAID 0 config for games, benchmarking, and other high performance stuff only. Thx alot for the info Beefy. : peace2: Mista K6.

P.S., one last question: so when RAID 0 spreads the data over two drives, does it still keep each drive seperate? or does it format it as a big drive? Cause pulling out individual files to back up onto the storage drive would be a real pain...
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Beefy Guest

Wow, you really don't use a lot of space.. And I haven't defragged my PC since I installed XP :)

In RAID 0 (striping), all the drives that are part of the RAID are 'merged', and considered one 'logical' drive. So, if you had 4 x 40GB HDDs in a RAID 0 array, for example, then your operating system would detect it as 1 160GB HDD. You can then go and partition it as you would any other drive. The data is stored across all drives at once, so you can't access data using part of the array.

For your backup, how cautious are you trying to be? Best thing would be to simply make an image of the 2 x 36GB RAID every so often on to your other HDD... but personally, unless it's critical stuff, I wouldn't get too carried away with it. Set up your RAID, install all your stuff then make an image. Store any miscellaneous files on the big drive. That should be sufficient enough for anything.

Thanks for the information Beefy!!!
    Im going fo 2 Hard drives! :bounce:
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-

Sweet, thx Beefy, come Q2 2004 and PCI-Express, I'm building my system :woot: . : peace2: Mista K6
    Modified Dell 8200 Case:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information