Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Disk Boot Failure

I'm about to put this hardrive I'm using in this computer in another one that I just built. But when I put it in that one I get a message saying "Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disk and press enter" message. New computer has Asus A7VBX-X mobo. Thanks in advance

check the jumpers on the hdd and make sure the hdd is selected in the boot menu of the bios (it should be by default, but check it anyway)
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

What system are you moving it from compared to the new system? If they're not the same, you can run into huge problems. For example, if you're old system runs an AMD processor with a VIA chipset and your new toy happens to be Intel with an Intel chipset, you're system is almost guaranteed to hack up a hairball. The way the systems communicate to the hardware is so vastly different that you can run into this very problem. Even if you're running from an AMD to another newer AND system, this can still happen if the chipsets are different.

To do a quick test, throw in a bootable floppy disk and see if the system boots properly. If so, then you've either got a problem with HDD jumper/BIOS settings or a problem like I mentioned above. If you get the same error message, then you've got something else wrong with the system.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker25
    I'm about to put this hardrive I'm using in this computer in another one that I just built. But when I put it in that one I get a message saying "Disk Boot Failure, Insert system disk and press enter" message. New computer has Asus A7VBX-X mobo. Thanks in advance

Make sure your harddrive shows up correctly in Cmos and ofcoarse the the jumper is set right like everyone above has said. A few other things to check is to see if your cables are plugged in securely. Sometimes the data input cable (either end) can wiggle its way out a bit if your messing around with stuff inside your system, also check the power connector cable to see if its plugged into the drive. One other thing to keep in mind is that data input cables can go bad but its a shot in a thousand.

I'd definitly use a boot disk and reformat your drive for the new system if its going to be the one containing your operating system.

Thread Information